Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2013

Go down 
+8
NancyLee
sunny 57
cb
Graymare
Ellen E
Manygatess
Carol W
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
silverdancer

August 2013 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 am

Well, we are still enjoying the best summer here in 15 years (or so the weathermen say). Of course I missed the best of the hot weather because I was away in TX having even HOTTER weather! But right now, it is pretty nice here, warm and dry and just the occasional bit of rain to keep the farmers happy.

ARK - I've been enjoying reading all about your various riding episodes and those great photos! Glad to hear that Areion is being a good girl and seems to learn the lessons quickly. And Ivan also sounds like he's being a good boy, giving you the confidence to canter around on him. But I'm sorry to hear about Kazi's back, what age is she?
I love to ride to music and have done a few Musical Freestyle Dressage competitions over the years- the good bit about them being that because the Judge doesn't know the test, you can make it up a bit (or a lot) if necessary! Very Happy  If you can find them on your radio/i-player/CD player etc, anything jazzy by Scott Joplin is good for trot - The Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag are a couple of good ones. And if you like something classical for trot work- I use Boccherini's Minuet which is really pretty.
And good to hear your sister Annie's wrist is recovering well...

GRAYMARE - glad to hear that you also are getting better. It must be beautiful up in the mountains - do you live there all the time? What is it like in Winter?

CB - you are having some real mixed weather from all accounts, hearing about those high temperatures makes me feel I'm right back there! I hope you keep getting more nice homes for all your puppies too, it sounds like you have a lot of animals to look after.
The hay over here this year is very different from usual - we had a long, cold, wet winter and hay was in extremely short supply due to the late Spring. Then suddenly the ground warmed up and dried out and the grass GREW really fast. Of course the farmers in a panic hurried to cut and dry it in the lovely bit of heatwave, expecting the usual wet summer to arrive, which it didn't - but the hay was cut and dried much SHORTER length than usual and just looks odd. It's smells and appears delicious, and the horses are already eating it due to none of last years hay left and clearly love it. But when I need to fill a hay net, it falls through the holes!

ELLEN E - sorry to hear the sad news about your neighbour. But it sounds like you have a close-knit and supportive community there, that is lovely, for everyone.

CAROL- your account of meeting the Wild Turkeys on your lovely ride had me laughing and horrified together! How you stayed on, I am seriously impressed - must be a very strong reflex reaction to grip like that in the circumstances and stay on! cheers Hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride and weren't looking for turkeys round every corner!

Time now to go and make me some lunch - trying to eat healthy though, and lose some weight. Again. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 am

SILVER, I only live up here in the summers....this is very remote, in ranching country. In the spring, the cattle are brought to pasture, in the fall they are gathered and moved (actually off to market).
The cattle numbers are way down due to gov't reg's on land, economy, massive cattle corporations, and lack of people strong enough to live that way and survive. It's a disappearing way of life here in the U S. Sadly, horses have no jobs. People can't afford to feed them so now horses are tossed away all over the country. It's a sad state of affairs for the horse here. Most are caged in stalls, are not in herds, and are vingeither fat or starving. Show horses only stay used as long as the human ego is fed. After that they head down the road to who knows where. Horse rescues are flooded w requests to take horses. On our board, our horses are well cared for, but so many are hidden and starving. We just had 4 found in the desert on the news. The Sherif's office or the county humane society has them and they are at the prison being fed well. The prisoners rehab them and then they get sold at a production sale when they're ready to go. Word has it it's a good place to buy a good horse. Our slaughter houses are inhumane and closed here for horses. I'm for slaughter houses for horses and feel they are a need. That said, they need to be regulated humanely so starving horses aren't standing on he roadsides. Of course, if I could get that done, I'd be famous.

I'm so glad I had my fun on the ranges and riding for 8-10 hrs at a time gathering cattle and am sorry it is disappearing. Those are my favorite memories flying X country, wind in my face, over & around rocks and through water (just like Ireland), and the feel of a great horse giving it's all for me. That's just my take on it. Now I play w cattle on a limited basis, cutting and working cow classes. I'm thinking next year I will do sorting. We'll see. I will still ride ranges but obviously not like "the old days". Being out and ambling through a small herd checking if doctoring is needed is good enough for me. It creates the same smile and peace of mind for an old cowgirl.

Now, simply waiting for my foal to see what it's made of...........I'm hoping it has as much cow as it's mama and brother. There again, we'll see.

Everyone have a good day. God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:23 pm

[URL=https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/11/lqs0.jpg/]
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Today was the first day of school for the kids around here. Well, the weather seems to agree. It feels like late September instead of mid-August. The high today was 70 with a cold wind coming in across the lake. Not only did I have to put on a sweatshirt and close all the doors and windows, I actually had to turn on the fireplace for a while. After summer arriving so late this year, I'm really not ready for an early fall.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 am

GRAYMARE:
Click on this for your photo:

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/11/lqs0.jpg/

Very pretty!

ELLEN:
I can't believe how cool it has been either. Or that school has already started! I bet the lake does cool things off when there is a breeze.

SILVERDANCER:
Kazi is 21 years old. She doesn't have any obvious back problems when I am not on her, only when weight is on her back. I will have a vet check her out next time I take her in for her shoe set at Va Tech. As long as she isn't in pain just walking around, I don't really have to ride her. Ivan and soon Areion are plenty to ride.
I love reading your posts! I think you got our summer and we got yours. It rains nearly every day. Thanks for the song suggestions!

CB:
Who needs air conditioning when it rarely reaches 80 degrees? Very Happy  We don't need air conditioning for the most part, even during a hot year. Our house is pretty well insulated and we just close it up during the day when it is hot and open the windows at night to cool off the house for the next day. During a normal year, there are only a couple weeks when we get to 90 that it would be nice to have A.C. We have ceiling fans in every room, so we just keep them running. We are above 2000 feet elevation, which helps, too.

SUNNY:
How are you feeling? Any news on the truck?

CAROL:
I saw some wild turkeys in a field a couple of days ago and thought about you! Laughing Ivan is pretty good at those spin and bolt moves. I think Arab riders learn to stick to those, don't you? Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

OK, ARK, quitcherbraggin, LOL...its so hot here....our week in the 90's....the first day, it was over 100! again....how can the weatherperson be wrong so much of the time! geesh....

I'm not too sure about Arabs having rights to that dip and spin or any other moves! tongue Razz  Lord knows, Tank is about 1300 pounds of solid horse and he does those fancy moves quite well also! silly horse, doesn't he know those moves are reserved for Arabs, and he needs to find a slower, gentler move for his size when he spooks! Too bad they can't be in slow motion!

Well, going to town to pay a few bills, get hay, get groceries....so guess I"d better get a move on and getrdone.

We are spose to get thunder/lighning/rain today.

Idaho has a lot of acreage on fire....have lost buildings and cattle in this devastating season of fires.....they need big HUMS!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 am

OMG, CB, that fire is horrible!!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 10:32 pm

ARK, I grew up in PA and I never knew anyone having anything else but window fans while I lived there. So I know how the temps are....but I must say if I ever move back that way I will have an AC unit...I am spoiled.

Graymare, yes those FIRES are awful. I saw some pics and they are trying to move cattle out of harms way, but have lost some of them....last count was in the hundreds....sad....I'm not sure about horses...no report there yet. Both my girls have scanners and hear all the details...some they probably don't want to know....there has been structures lost also....it is bad and more than likely will burn until the first mountain snows, or a very hard rain....lets hope its rain and its soon.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 am

well Ark, I am expecting my check within the next day, we went to the dealer where we got the ranger and found a explorer it is 2 years older and has 153,000 miles but they replaced the front end, brakes, brand new tires, rear end was checked and serviced, and it runs real well you can't even tell it is running, I like it but there are still a few issues that they are fixing for me we have signed the papers but did not take it home yet giving them time to fix the little things, my insurance guy called me today and I found out that the dealer told the insurance company that the pay off was 795 dollars more than I actualy owed, my portion of the settlement was 1872.50 and it should have been more by the 795.00 that he took over the real balance owed , so tomorrow we are going back to the dealer to discuss the issue and hope to get that money back as I have to come upwiththe state taxes and transfer of title and registration of the new S.U.V totaling 1833.00 so I need every penny of whats left to cover my expenses, it has become a nightmare and I am stressed out and not a happy camper,
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 1:05 am

sunny, that sounds like a lot of miles on that vehicle, does it have any warranty with it. I sure hope it works out for ya. If it were a bigger truck, but for suv type...I don't know, but sure wish y'all luck.

Weatherperson was wrong again...said 40% chance of rain today...usually if it says 30 we get rain, but not today! LOL...
tomorrow is go get hay day...man I hate to see that money go sliding out of my fingers....14 dollars a bale ....Shocked 

well, sweet dreams y'all...

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am

CB, all of there vehicles come with a one year bumper to bumper warrenty, the explorer was well cared for the inside looks like new and this dealer has nothing but nice to excellent cars and trucks I don't worry about that we don't pay any intrest or dealer fees just the price of the S.U.V and taxes and tag fees he is pretty fair but he is a car dealer so you know he is out for the profit, we are going up today to get our explorer and discuss the money situation with him, I know it is only 795.00 but to me that is a lot and would buy a lot of gas or what ever I need.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 12:17 pm

More bad news on the Elk fire, a report says they are finding lots of dead wildlife and they have lost 38 homes so far....this is one nasty Arse fire....not making light of any of this believe me, but I think we all need to pull together with BIG HUMS and lets do our naked rain dance at 9 p.m. tonight....they really need rain! It's worked in the past! who knows.....lets at least all get together at 9 and hold hands and HUM...clothes optional! bom bom 

Good luck Sunny...hope it gets straightened out and you can relax and have a vehicle you like.

in the 90's today ...96, but humidity is 78%

drunken  may be a good idea, and stay under the A/C!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Can not seem to geta post out

Here it is 9 pm and no dancers??????Surprised Cool Cool Cool 
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 am

The party was a smashing success. Everyone had a wonderful time, 58 people including kids. The food was good, the cake was excellent. JoLynn made 72 cupcakes, chocolate & vanilla and a small double layer cake for us to cut. George was making fun of the banana cake until, I started telling people it was banana and they started rushing up for a piece. OMG it was wonderful.

The fire hall sent home the left over food, I was handed out to people who I knew would take it home and eat it, so it wasn't wasted. We had filled chicken breasts, ham, baked corn, mac & cheese, salad & rolls & butter.

Then we came home and had a cookout later & birthday cake for Amy, in the evening with all the kids & grandkids. Just a little drama here. Heather brought her dog with them and Ace HATED him. Ace turned into Cujo. I made him stay in the house, he was not a happy doggie, then he threw up. YUCK. Thank goodness he went out on the patio and threw up. It was hectic for him and Sassy. There were about 24 people here, they can handle all the people but the strange dog freaked them out.

A little sad news, the yellow kitten died 2 weeks after Kathy took him home. The vet said he was taken from his mom to early and had a virus that he couldn't fight off. So very sad..Then my favorite barn cat Dexter went missing. I saw a coyote in the driveway one day last week. That is never a good thing for the barn cats.

CB: I worked at the Montour Delong Fair on Weds. Aaron Kelly from American Idol was performing there, right next to our food stand. That was cool, got to hear him and take a peek or two. We were so busy selling that greasy fair food, I was worn out. It was worse than working at the Post Office at Christmas time. LOL

We are onto our latest project, painting the balcony porch floor and installing new railings. Always something going on around here.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 11:09 pm

TRUDY:
 Congrats on the great party experience!!  Sounds like a lot of fun with all the family. cheers It is great when a plan comes together. Very Happy 

SUNNY:
 I hope the new vehicle works out really well.  New wheels are exciting! Very Happy 

OLMAN:
 I didn't dance, but I did do a little humming at 9 pm last night.  I really hope they get those fires controlled soon.  What a terrible situation.  

CB:
 It is like fall here today.  I don't know where summer went, it lasted about a week.  

Well, I had a wonderful lesson yesterday!  Ivan and I are learning to canter in the arena.  I keep messing up and hitting him in the mouth with the bit, but he is very forgiving of stupid moves on my part.   We trotted and cantered the entire lesson.  The curves still give me the shivers, but I am getting better.

Then Areion had her lesson.  She learned to move over a ground pole,  have a bit put in her mouth, be bridled, saddled, and later mounted.  She pitched a little fit over the saddle a couple of brief bucks worth, but not bad.  She only did it when she was moving out in the round pen without a lead line.   She didn't mind Lori getting on her, but Lori didn't ask her to move while mounted this time, that comes next week.   I took 189 pix.  Luckily for you, I am only posting a few! Very Happy   I am very pleased with Areion's progress.  Lori really is a good trainer.

August 2013 - Page 3 Jftq.th   August 2013 - Page 3 2rqe.th  August 2013 - Page 3 Kgt2.th

August 2013 - Page 3 B9fw.th  August 2013 - Page 3 A5n0.th

Last edited by Ark on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Trudy, isn't is wonderful to have such good friends and family to help you celebrate the good things in life?  I'm glad you had a great time.
That's so sad about your cats.  We always hate so much to lose any of them.

This is very minor, but I'm so glad to be comfortable again with my new wireless keyboard and mouse.  The old one was causing all kinds of problems with the computer, so I sent them to the landfill - after about 10 or 12 years - and ordered new ones.  I hope these last as long as the old ones did.

Summer seems to be returning, at least for a little while.  The water has been too cold to want to swim.  I'm sure hoping for a few more swims before the end of summer.

Ark, she looks really good. You're going to have a lot of fun with her.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks, ELLEN.
I think she will be fun, too. She is sure a lot bigger than Ivan! Areion is very smart, but fairly reactive. Hopefully she will grow out of that a little. She moves really nicely and should be fun to ride.
Congrats on your new computer equipment! I love my computer, until it doesn't work. Then I have visions of taking a hammer to it, Laughing  .

I hope your warm weather returns, too. It would mean ours would. I love the temps, but hay needs warmer weather to dry well. It is 57 degrees here at 11 pm. Downright chilly.

TRUDY:
I am sorry about your kitten and cat. I worry about our outdoor cats all the time. We saw a fox sitting in our field a few days ago and there are coyotes across the road. I am surprised our barn cat, Wizard, has done as well as he has. He is about 10 years old and fat as a pumpkin. How he has managed to avoid the lurking predators is beyond me.

OLMAN:
Got your hay put up yet? We might get a third cutting off our upper fields if the weather warms up and fall doesn't completely take over soon.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 am

The weather this year has been good for hay. Most of the farmers have just finished a 4th cut. There MIGHT be a 5th one.

Are you going to get enough hay from your own field to get you through the winter?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 9:40 pm

ELLEN:
I don't think we will have quite enough for the entire year. I suspect we will need a couple hundred square bales to get to late May. After we improve the hayfields with composted manure, lime, reseeding and de-weeding, our numbers should improve. We used to get much more than we do now. Years of taking from the fields without giving much back has taken a toll.

Donnie spent 4 hours this afternoon pulling out Johnson Grass out of our lower field. He is determined to have a minimum in the hay when he puts it up. It is raining right now, but the prospects look good for a few clear days later this coming week.

I spent the same 4 hours mowing behind the barn and arena, down to the creek, and around the barnlot field. The horses haven't been behind the barn all summer and the weeds took over, some higher than me. The mower earned its gasoline today. I did almost run the poor thing into the creek when I pushed the forward pedal instead of the reverse one! affraid  I stopped within an inch of dropping the mower into 18 inches deep water. Donnie had to come push me out, I got stuck on slick grass and dirt. He wouldn't have been a happy farmer if I had drowned his pet lawn tractor.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 10:53 pm

well, I sold the pony mare and her filly today. It was a bad episode at first. Two separate people bought the ponies....we were delivering the filly first, and when we arrived to our destination....I gave the folks their money back. There was not one inch of me that would have left that pony in that junk yard mess, complete with a junkyard dog whose ears were bleeding so badly from fly bites....I just wouldn't do it! We apologized, handed the money back and got the he!! out of dodge....and as we were driving down their driveway, Hubby and I both blew out our breath....a big sigh of relief....we then called the guy who had bought the Mom pony to see if he wanted the filly, he did! Another big sigh of relief....we delivered them to his place this afternoon ....50 acres of trees and some grass....shelter....stack of hay....nice folks, and the best thing, two little boys, who were riding the pony and playing with buttercup....those boys will have so much fun with them....and the ponies were perfect angels leading and riding bareback with halter and lead rope....they were off playing the ol miner and his pack mule and the sheriff....I was crying when I left....felt so dang relieved. The girls are all riding big horses now....and I couldn't afford two extra mouths to feed.
I have someone coming to look at the Appaloosa Monday, and the Paint gelding already has his new home. I will be down to 4 horses much more manageable on our budget and with the hay prices.

All in all it was a great day....things turned out well.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm

CB, it's so good that you were able to find a good home for both the ponies. I hope those little boys have a wonderful time with them and treat them well.

Not too much going on around here. Summer has returned for a few more days, and I'm glad for the warmer water temps so I can swim a few more times before it gets too cold.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:35 pm

NO...We are NOT going to go look for baby elephants, but we ARE leaving Thursday morning and won't be back till mid Sept. Going to spend nearly a week with our "daughter" from Estonia (stayed with us most of the summer in '97 or '98) and then a week in Sweden and last week will be a cruise up / down the Norwegian coast pulling into some of the fjords and doing "stuff" off the ship. I wanted to give everybody a heads up.

Please behave yourselves and I'll see you when we return. I'll have my computer with me, but won't have a lot of time to be on it.

Our love to all...Carol, Rick, and Snoop who claims to be a Viking;) Wink Wink 
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 pm

I've seen that clip so many times since the first time I saw it when it was first aired. It cracks me up every single time. Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Have a great trip, Rick.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Rick, your trip sounds like a lot of fun coming up! Have a great time both of you and Snoop too!

Ellen, I hope you get to swim a bit more...everyone is saying fall is in the air...its in the 90's here for our highs, so very well could be our fall! LOL

Trudy, your party sounded grand! Wish I could have been there!

ARK, yep, you will have a couple of really good trail horses....they will last you for a very long time and be trusty steeds that will take care of you.

WEll, we had our lil procedure done this morning....under general aneststesia....boy is my throat sore....now we wait for all the biopsy results....and y'all know me, patience my arse....

Thursday hubby is spose to have his knee suregery.... we are falling apart ....old age really sucks:( 
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Awww, CB. Big prayers that everything turns out okay.

I had to work today, then to the hotel for pizza, then home for a late evening swim with neighbor. It doesn't get any better than this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2013
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next