Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2013

Go down 
+6
Ol'Man
Rick Angell
Carol W
Graymare
cb
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

November 2013 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 pm

oops, forgot:

FORWARD TO ALL!

Cell phone numbers go public this month
I thought all should know!

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to
telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your
time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the
cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a
different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
Please forward to family and friends.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 pm

My son was born 2:00 am that day----Gosh, new babies are good looking:lol: Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool 
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 2:38 am

I remember we listened to the radio over the intercom in each classroom...everyone was quiet and just listening....trying to take it all in.

OK, whoever left the door open please shut the dang thing! Brrrrrrr.....winter has hit Texas! For the next four days...then I hope it will warm back up to our normal summery winter weather!

We stopped in at Wal Mart today and everyone was looking for what we were looking for...long johns and sweat pants! jocolor 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 pm

we are expecting a cold front by Sunday but only down to the 50's and 70's during the day not sure weather we are going to get rain today or not, so am waiting to go anywhere with my scooter until I am sure, there are several BIG flea markets I want to go see, one is in Auburndale, about 20 miles away, the other is in St. Cloud, maybe 20 miles or so not sure but it is a big one and they have fresh fruits and veggies, along with homemade goods from people so I have plenty to do. I hope everyone else is having a wonderful weekend, anyone have plans for thanksgiving, with everything going on at my daughter's I am not sure weather or not I want to go over there, there is a lot of tension and it makes for a uncomfortable time but if not Kent and I are preparing to make our own turkey dinner,
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm off to go see a horse drawn parade in Ohio this evening. It's gonna be COLD, but it's horses, so I'll dress warmly and enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 2:26 pm

CB, very bad storm hanging in here…………….last night about 38-40, bad winds……………Faith is wearing her blankie. Prob about 45-50 now but still pouring with heavy winds…………..
Faith can't get wet in the barn………it's roofed well so rain can't blow in but the wind sure can.
Stalls are 16 ft, roof span is 32 ft………very efficient………………

SUNNY, hope you have a good week.

ELLEN, have fun…………….

Wutta ya think CAROL? Our town parade and festival cancelled this morning……rodeo is still on.
Ha, people don't know AZ can get ugly, lots of snow up north…..…..see you soon.

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 2:47 pm

I am cold Graymare. I think my furnace needs adjustments somehow. There is not an owner's manual in this house for anything so very hard to figure out what to do with it. I will ask one of the guys to help me later but not in this awful weather. Will just use my space heater and the oven if I need to ...... Will welcome the sunshine back next week. Midge is a freeze baby too. lol wrapped up in her blankie!!!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 10:18 pm

CAROL, here, the rain has stopped for now……………wind continues and now that it is dark, it's plumb cold…………….I sure hope your space heater helps. We are supposed to get one more round of big rain and then it is going to blow out of dodge. They have fleece elec blankets now, I was going to get one for my daughter. We had a fire last night and just enjoyed it. TL has a code in his node, LOL………………he feels O K, fortunately.

Hope to see you soon.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

With the wind chill we were at 23 most of the day....temp was 33 for the hight tho. Nights are in low 20's without windchill.. We went and got some plywood today and built wind shelters in the corners of each pen its not great, but am hoping it will suffice and help the horses out a bit. Brrrrrrrrr.....we were outside for 4 hours today in this bbbbbrrrrrrey cold weather....bundled up to the max! I was afraid if I came in to warm up I would never get the nerve to go back out. We also filled extra water tubs with water just in case we lose power as they are predicting lost of icy conditions tonight/tomorrow. We also took our weekly showers just in case! LOL
Carol, my lil shadow doxie, ShortStuff, loves to sleep in front of the space heaters....I am surprised she doesn't burst into flames, but she hates the cold.
Its a hot toddy night tonight...
.gotz to warm my toesies up somehow!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Pouring here CAROL………………..windy, but not as bad as last nigh, glad I got chores done by 5:30P……..prob 40 out there CB………..it will drop later but prob to around 35………………….BRRR, your territory sounds ugly right now. The storm here is supposed to blow out tomorrow afternoon. Hope yours does, too.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:29 pm

We went to the parade and nearly froze. There was a blizzard happening during the start. We think some of teams might have decided to stay home. With snow and slick roads I sure would not have wanted to haul horses. As we drove in to town we saw a little car do a half turn on the ice. We are back at Cousin's house eating Chocolate cake with caramel icing. MY FAVORITE!!!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 1:18 am

Cold, cold, cold!  It was 60 degrees yesterday, 37 degrees today and going down to 18 tonight with a howling wind.  We spent the day making the barn ready for the cold weather.  The electric water buckets are all going, the pet heating pads are plugged in for the barn kitties, and the two black cats (Spooky and Spookette)  have moved out of the garage and  into Annie's vacated bedroom for the winter.  The ponies' stall got doubled in size when we cleaned out the remains of the haybales stored in the back of the stall and we bedded it down nicely.  They should all be comfy.   We may have snow or ice pellets on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.  I think winter has arrived.  

Ivan and Areion had good lessons on Thursday.  Ivan and I worked on gait transitions for the most part, and then on doing the 'passenger' lesson by letting Ivan choose where to go with no input from reins.  It turns out that I am a control freak and had a very hard time with not being allowed to touch those reins!  Ivan is co-dependent and didn't know quite what we were doing or where we were going since he was in charge.  It took some time, but he finally started going without putting his head on the ground (and scaring the socks off of me affraid ) and staying in the gait I wanted without zooming around with his nose on the ground.  It's a good lesson, but nerve wracking. Areion and Lori did great!  Areion is getting good at canter departures and directional control.  I didn't get to ride her this week, we ran out of daylight.  I suspect our lesson next week will be canceled due to the weather.  

ELLEN:
 I sure don't blame anyone for not wanting to haul in icy weather!  I am glad you made it home safely!  Yum, cake sounds good!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 12:23 pm

ewieeeeee.....we have ice today. It rained for awhile and then turned colder and ice on everything and everyone! Harry went out to feed and check everyone and he said he heard the sound of rushing gushing water but we drained our hoses last night.....he figured out it was the wind blowing thru the trees and grasses with ice on them....everyone is ok...thank goodness. Dogs still havn't been out of their boxes this morning....smart lil doggies! and big 'uns too! I'm happy we still have our power and tv, as towns northwest of us do not! Too much ice there!
Everyone stay warm and safe thru this storm.

I wouldn't haul horses on icy roads either, altho when we have traveled we have done so to try and get out of the cold/ice; but if it got too bad it was pull over and just wait it out. Luckily we can crawl in and around our horses to put blankets on and hang up drapes/blankets on the sides of the trailer to keep them warm. The gooseneck we can just shut the vents/windows tso warm it up, but the stock we rigged up tarps that drop down the sides to block wind....we always leave a bit open for good ventilation....we have been fortunate over the years.

Watching the weather channel...its going to get bad for some, we are to get more ice/rain...but we are ok....and I hope that state continues! LOL
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 1:02 pm

I am sorry that so many of you are having bad weather be careful if you have to get out in it stay warm and cozy inside and hope this doesn't last long,
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 5:17 pm

at least there are a few xmas movies on I havn't seen yet....when this one is over we will go water everyone, Jessi and Joey came out to give horsie treats and play with their babies a bit
. We are just hunkered down and staying warm....drinking lots of hot tea with honey and cinnamon after being out in that wind yesterday....my voice is a lil hoarse....

Hubby fell asleep in his recliner with a cup of tea and a bag of donuts...I think he had too much sugar and is in a deep funk! LOL

I guess I will look up federal campgrounds where we can stay with horses....kind of map out our route.

well, may after I take a nap....zzzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Its 29 degrees out there and all of a sudden the house lights up with lightning....and then we hear thunder and then a rainstorm...cold hard rain. When this is over with we will go and towel dry the horses off some.....man they are taking a beating in this weather. I bet it will freeze ice on everything again now....am hoping this weather clears out of here. Be careful everyone, this system is packing a cold punch.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 am

CB:
wow, your weather really is terrible! I hope your Texas winter improves quickly! Stay warm and dry....

GRAYMARE and CAROL:
I hope your weather is already improved. I thought you left that cold weather behind, CAROL! Rolling Eyes 

That system is headed east. They are calling for bad weather here on Tuesday and Wednesday. It is already COLD. Our high today was 27 degrees with a stiff wind. We were out in it all afternoon. Donnie trimmed Daisy's feet and I did the barn work. Then I decided to get a ride on Ivan in since I probably won't get another chance all week. Ivan is a warm fuzzy guy! I didn't get chilled until after the ride.

Stay warm, everyone!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 am

Yeah...ARK is up to her old habits of leaving the gate open and sending those cold temps down my way...supposedly never got above 40 today and is already down to 28. Tomorrow promises to be a heatwave of 43. The woodstove is burning!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 12:27 pm

CB, I just saw your storm on the T V news, it looks awful.…………prayers for it to finish up soon.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I think we are down to the MUD stage of the storm,, its warmer today. But y'all take this storm seriously cuz its packing a punch. Northwest of us really took a hard hit, still without power. We never lost ours, thank goodness altho we had extra tubs filled with water. By the end of the weekend we'll be back up to tank top temps!wavy wavy wavy wavy 

All the critters are fine. Dogs will get beef broth today on their food and last two days they got chicken broth. So they were snug and fed well! and outside today barking at one another....the last two days they stayed in their houses and loved it! Horses are all fine....they are drying out wavy and enjoying a weak sun. We gave extra hay during the cold weather and they sure LOVED that!

We don't get much cold weather but we do get some. I'm just glad its moving on, but feel for everyone else going to get it. There have been 13 deaths, so take it seriously y'all and be safe and warm.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 1:29 pm

It is raining/sleeting/snowing here right now. Cold. There is a layer of ice on everything and it is pouring. Donnie stayed home and helped me with the barn and horses. I let Ivan and Areion out, they turned right around and came back into the barn. They're no dummies. We had to clean around everyone, but got it done. They are snug and fed. They are all dry. Donnie and I are soaked and frozen!

We have a big pot of beans cooking in the crockpot, just in case the power goes out. It's our favorite cold weather food. Drool  The wind is supposed to pick up and the temps go down tonight and tomorrow, but Thanksgiving is supposed to be sunny. I am so glad we aren't traveling anywhere this year!

If you are traveling for the holiday, stay safe!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 2:33 pm

I am posting ts about an hour after ARK's post...we are at 35F and raining. Horses are NOT smart...both were wet when I fed about 9:30 ... and they free rein to come / go as they please. I did feed hay in the rack instead of tossing it on the ground.

Hope all have a good day and stay warm and dry.

Snoop & Rick
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

RICK:
SOME horses are not smart Laughing Laughing . The only one who went out of the barn today was Daisy, who in good weather will travel 300 yards to 'tinkle' in the barn. Today she went out of the barn and into the arena to do her business. That was unusually nice of her.

We are up to 36 degrees at about 6 pm and the rain has been pouring all afternoon. The ice has melted, but I bet all the creeks are rising. The barnlot is a muddy mess. We are once again wet, but our horses and goat are all toasty warm in the barn. The weather guys said we may get up to 3 inches of rain....but that is better than the equivalent moisture in snow or ice. The wind hasn't started yet. It will. And tomorrow night is predicted to be 7 degrees. Seven. Above ZERO. No 

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Brrrrrrrr. Stay cozy and enjoy the beans!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 10:48 pm

No rain or snow here, and the temps are back "up" to about 30 - which is better than teens.

Not much going on around here. Winter is here. Another month until the days start getting longer. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 am

Since we're all giving weather reports...

Light snow flurries with possibility of 6-12 inches of lake effect snow. However, I "probably" won't get that much snow unless wind direction changes. I'm JUST on the other side of the snow belt and it will usually miss me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So what goes clip clop clip thunk? clip clop clip thunk? Sophie the Wonder Pony with the little lawn tractor tire they play with stuck to her foot! hysterical hysterical hysterical 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2013
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next