Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OCTOBER 2020

Go down 
+3
Ellen E
Graymare
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 pm

I had a little something to do with my neighbor becoming a handyman. He is a retired fire chief of one of our bigger cities, but had taken a job to have something to do. He didn't like that job. One day, he and his wife were driving by on their golf cart when I happened to be cleaning up some left over leaves. They went home and got the backpack blower and came back to help me do the job. I paid him with homemade ice cream. As we talked, I mentioned that I had some other things I wished he would do, and said I would gladly pay him (money) to do it. That inspired him to think about doing little jobs like that.
So, within a couple of weeks, he had lined up several jobs just by word of mouth. He now has several regular mowing jobs, he does pressure washing, or almost any kind of work that doesn't involve electricity or plumbing.
His wife, a newly retired school teacher, sometimes helps with some of the jobs, and has picked up some cleaning jobs of her own.
They are wonderful neighbors in lots of ways.
By the way, they have a Basset Hound puppy and a pet pig. LOL The pig thinks its a dog. She walks around with her tail wagging, just like a dog does. The pig and the puppy finally became friends and sleep together in one dog bed after they wear themselves out playing tug of war.

Rose, look up a race track lead pony named Harley. He is an American Sugarbush. He's a big black draft horse with a great big blanket of spots on his rump. He is a regular at Churchill and Keeneland. I don't know if the flighty Thoroughbreds sense that he is like a big brother to protect them or not, but he's big enough they can bounce around all they want and he just keeps going. Breyer even made a model of him.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 am

ELLEN:
 Please come cook for me.... Drool   And bring your handyman!!  cheers
I never heard of an American Sugarbush.  Sounds like a cute horse!  

CB:
 That is too funny about Harry lol! .  Hope your pup gets to feeling well.  And you have a hamburger.  

TRUDY:
 We need to repaint indoors.  Bring George...   Very Happy

INDYAPP:
 I wish I could have gone on your ride!  That's just the right length.  It's nice the property owners let others ride there.

GRAYMARE:
 My main riding friend's horses both have feet problems going on, so trail rides are postponed for awhile.   I have been a slug, but am gearing up to start riding here until my friend gets going again.  I don't like trail riding alone.

ROSE:
 Your horse is great!!  I wish I could post the videos you put on FaceBook, but I don't know how.  Your new horsey looks like a winner to me!  Ivan is 14hh, too.  Perfect size!  I didn't see anything wrong that a trainer might need to correct with the rider in the video.  Congrats on your new POA!!!  wavy

OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 Roseho10

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 12:48 pm

ARK, thanks so much for posting the pic of my boy! I'm really looking forward to riding again and hate that I'm going to miss this beautiful riding weather we are having, when it's not pouring rain. A light rain is fine unless the temps drop.

American Sugarbush is a harlequin colored big draft and that's exactly what Harley is. I had to look it up!

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 12:59 pm

I just read on fb that Santa has passed away. He loved being Santa to many. His wife Sam was on our old horse sites. RIP David.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Oh CB, that is so darn sad!  I met and visited with them, Santa and Sam, when they camped here in SC.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 7:10 pm

I really am sorry to hear about Santa.  He was a good guy.

Rose, your new guy looks like a nice sturdy one that will take good care of you.  We'll sure want to see pictures of you riding him.

Here is a link to an article about Harley.  If you happen to watch the Breeders Cup, you'll probably see him working that day.
https://equineink.com/2020/09/02/meet-harley-the-magnificent/

Ark, if you don't have an Instant Pot, they are going to be on sale for the next couple of months. Mine was a gift, but I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The company should be giving me commissions for selling them to several friends. Very Happy
They are pressure cookers, but they are not at all like the old ones that our mothers were about half scared of. They are very safe. Once the lid is on and locked and the steam inside has built up, there is no way to get the lid off until the pressure has released, either naturally or manually.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 10:03 pm

WOW, ROSE, what a beauty.........hope he's every thing you've hoped for.........I can't wait til you get him. I see in the
photo he has good feet............

What sad news about Santa....We're all at that age when things happen fast. God rest his soul.

Everyone have a great evening...........

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 12:46 am

CB
I am so sorry to hear about Santa. Is Sam still in a nursing home? I knew she had health issues, but I didn't know Santa did.

ELLEN:
I actually have an InstaPot thanks to my sister, Vicki. She gives me all the latest food equipment for Christmas presents. Very Happy I have used it a few times, but seem to love my crockpot more. I did make a nice pot roast with it once that turned out really well.

Drool

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Oooohhhh you guys are killing me talking about food. I know it was a couple days ago, but I'm just getting around to reading about it. I'm sitting here starving because I left my lunch on the counter at home this morning. It's gray and over cast and chilly so I'm not inclined to go out and get anything. Poor me...

Love them spots... I can't believe no one mentioned the butt we can see. ROFL

The trailer is all parked and tarped for the winter. I got my pylons put away and even filled in some dirt that has washed away from in front of the doors. Farm & Field had a sale for National farmer's week and I stocked up on horse feed and got a new extension cord for the water tank heater. i will probably mow the grass one more time and I think I'm ready for winter.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 pm

INDYAPP:
About that butt: the horse was turned the wrong way to appreciate its magnificence! hysterical

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 11:58 pm

I like big spotted butts...i can not lie...id like to steal him

Indyapp and Rose like this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 am

(snicker) The butt that is turned toward us looks pretty good. ROFL

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 pm

I need ideas for something fun to do with my great-niece and nephew. She's 8 he's just 4. It can be something we can do at the house or to take them to do something but of course it has to be CoVid compliant. What to people do for family time right now? I'm open to ideas. We already have the horse ride covered. Really looking for some sort of inside activity or attraction. They already watch enough tv.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Indy, that's going to be a challenge since it's supposed to rain on Saturday.  Is there a park or playground nearby?  How about a short hiking trail to look for different plants and animals.  Is there anyplace to ride bikes?  Does South Bend have a zoo?  Fort Wayne has a surprisingly nice zoo, and it opens at noon everyday.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2020 8:04 pm

INDY, movies. and pizza are always a hit.........plus Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild...........You could take the kids out to
play and take some Christmas photos for their mom, get them worn out, and then inside.........kids are so different
now as to what they do and cooperate with.............if you already have a pony ride on the docket that will
be thrilled.

Tired day already..........everyone have a good evening............

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 6:23 am

So sorry to hear about Santa.  He was such a nice guy.  I still have that little picture Sam made us when we all met up in CT, years ago.  CB remember that????

ELLEN: Can you send your handyman to PA? Still painting here in PA.  I used to love this old farm house but now I am rethinking that.  LOL  Just can't paint all day like we used to.  The contractors did all the hard parts, now we are just finishing up some low spots.  Our neighbor stopped yesterday and said "doesn't George feel bad about you up on that ladder painting?"  I said "it's either me up here or us at the ER when George falls off the ladder onto the ground.  I'd rather be up here."  

We had more excitement with our great grand daughter Gemma.  Her mother was arrested again (for drugs, robbery and assault with a deadly weapon) and is back in jail.  What a mess.  My son kidnapped his grand daughter Gemma from the people Tricia had left her with.  Thank you Children and Youth for creating this nightmare when you took the baby out of my son's house and put her back in the heroin den last January.   Back to court for custody we go.  The baby was so excited to see my son she ran across the yard jumped on his legs and climbed up him like a little monkey all the while saying "pappy pappy pappy."   We weren't allow to see Gemma at all, once they put her back with her mother.  What a useless organization C&Y is.  Gemma is safe for now anyway.  

My life is never dull...I don't have time for dull.
Stay safe and healthy everyone...

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 1:44 pm

MANYGATES I'm sorry to hear what little Gemma is going through... I can only hope that she will be returned to your son's home and flourish.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 2:39 pm

I often wonder why government so often think they know better for a child's welfare than extended family. I pray that you son will get permanent custody of her. It sounds like her mother will be "away" for a longer while.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 pm

Oh TRUDY................I can't believe that Gemma's mom is that far off track............that said I'm thrilled
for her dad..........I'm sure ta some point it will all settle for him and life can go on in normalcy and
happiness..............let's pray.

wavy wavy wavy

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 10:59 pm

Poor Gemma.  That is too much for a little kid to have to deal with.  I hope your son gets custody, TRUDY.  

Areion got her first lesson in 2 years yesterday.  She has a new trainer since her former one has moved on.  Areion did really well.  She remembers her training and was very responsive to Hanna.  Hanna is quite an adventurous young lady.  She has ridden in Mongolia and several other countries, trains and sells horses to endurance riders, and was the one who bought our gooseneck trailer.  She's already gone camping with it hauling a gorgeous chestnut Arabian gelding she is training.   And interestingly enough, her current boyfriend is an archaeologist who looks a lot like Johnny Dep.  Interesting lesson.... Very Happy ...Areion liked it, too.

OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 Hannac10

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Areion was well taught in her earlier lessons. She is obviously responding well to Hannah.

Today was a super nice fall day. It was rather chilly, but the sun was shining brightly. A cousin and her husband and two boys came up for the afternoon. Matt and Alex made short work of the leaves that are currently on the ground. They blew them to the bottom of the hill and then mowed over them with the tractor. Matt actually waded out in the cold water to pull the jet ski lift close to shore where he and Alex could lift it up onto the shore.
They lead very busy lives, so they enjoyed having some time to just sit and watch college football for a couple of hours before ordering take-out food. A little more relaxing, and they had to start for home.
I am so very grateful for my cousins. They are all such good people.
By the way, "little" Alex is now about 6 feet tall and still growing. He lettered in both golf and baseball. In fact, he hit a hole=in-one at one of the school matches.

Indyapp and Rose like this post

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 11:00 am

Trudy i hope gemmas life will get mych better...poor lil tyke.
Ark...ya sure he isnt...i zoomed in on him....wowzer!
Ellen...you have great cousins and a good nwighborhood.

We rode the sxs and went exploring. I wear a ling line bra that is a rubbery material to hold my parts.together...and we dont go fast...but.we enjoy it.

Still on my liquid and soft diet...can your hair turn white from lack of protein....or is it just old age?

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 6:24 pm

ARK, we need to see you up on Aerion.......she's a really pretty mare.

ELLEN, glad you got your leaves done...... and the jet ski tie up on shore for the winter......you're set now.

CB, glad you can still go out in the side by side.

I wonder if our ice cream truck is still operating.........haven't seen it around at all.

We're watching foot ball here............ popcorn popcorn popcorn

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 10:49 pm

Yesterday was just a start on the leaves. I'm guessing that less than half of the leaves have fallen off the trees, so far. But, it was a good start. They are planning to come back in three weeks, so maybe there will be more leaves down then. If the cousins don't get them done, Handyman Kent and I will finish them up. I'm cleared to drive the tractor now, so I can help.

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 10:23 pm

Hang on folks...........wash your hands, social distance yourself, and mask up....................what is wrong with
people? It seems simple. Is there something I'm missing?

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 10:39 pm

GRAYMARE:
Good question. Seems a pretty simple way to save lots of lives. I can't believe anyone thinks a quarter of a million deaths in this country, so far, is a hoax and will disappear right after election day. I wish....

My plan for Areion is to get her tuned up after a two year break, then get me tuned up to ride her. Very Happy Pix soon!

ELLEN:
Good luck with all those leaves!! Donnie just mowed over a bunch of ours, but they aren't all on the ground yet. A hole in one! Wow! I have no idea how one would aim a stick to hit a ball to fly that far and land in a little hole in the ground. Good for him!!

CB:
Areion's new trainer may come tomorrow. I hope she brings her boyfriend! ROFL That guy is easy on the eyes and incredibly smart!

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 2020   OCTOBER 2020 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

OCTOBER 2020
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next