Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2013

Go down 
+6
Ol'Man
Rick Angell
Carol W
Graymare
cb
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

November 2013 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm

CB, that's good news about Max. Sure glad to hear he's doing better today.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

yeah, poor Max thinks he is starving, vet has him on just a little hay every six hours, and I mean little bit of hay, ....poor baby. He is drinking good now tho, and is moving around much more on his own....he was full of you know what! Yesterday he didn't get any hay, he only got a handful of softened pellets with salt mixed in to try and get him to drink.....today just a handful of hay....he eats that up and chases us around looking for what else we may have! He wouldn't be choosy, we had to take the salt block out so he wouldn't od on it! He can only lick it six times a day for a minute or so, then he tries to munch it down!Shocked 

We will set the alarm every couple hours tonight to go out and check on him, but I think the worse of it is over now. I'm so glad we caught it early...or as early as we did, he was in a lot of pain when we did find him.rake 

Sweet dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Day 17 … its all about water!

We had planned to take a canal tour today if the weather was cooperative and it was … not a cloud in the sky and the temperature was “warm.”  We were up at 8:00 (late, for us … and it was nice!) showered, and in the dining hall for breakfast by 9:00.  We had “Danish” sweet rolls, juice, coffee for me and tea for Carol, melon, and toast with Marmalade.  Carol made arrangements for the desk clerk to secure our luggage after we cleared our room. The canal tour boat was just maybe 50 yards from the hotel door and we were there for a 10:00 AM tour start for the 1 - 1 ½ hour tour.  I’ve tried to find a decent web site, but unable to do so.  Maybe this will give you some idea of what it was like: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189541-d523562-Reviews-Canal_Tours_Copenhagen-Copenhagen_Zealand.html  Click on the large picture and that will call up the smaller pics and you can then use the arrows < or > to advance to next pic.  I have no clue about where all we went on that long, low and wide boat …  we were “along for the ride” and saw a lot of OLD buildings and some really NEW /MODERN buildings.  We did get to see “The Little Mermaid” from perhaps a better vantage point than the hundreds of tourists on the land side of the statue.  Here is a bit of information you’ll find interesting … be sure to play the short video that is within the web site:  http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/the-little-mermaid-gdk586951  After returning from the cruise, we returned to the dining room and ate another Danish while waiting for a taxi cab to pick us up and deliver us to the dock for the next phase of our vacation.  We are going on a sea cruise!

The cab arrived on time and took us (and our increasingly heavier luggage) to the dock to board the Royal Caribbean  ship VISION OF THE SEAS.  Here is a short video about this oversized floating canoe:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seBLvWhCLHI  This would be a totally new experience for me as I had never been on a cruise ship before other than the overnight ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm.  This would be nice without having to worry about driving, getting lost or where to eat dinner, etc.  We also didn’t have to worry about packing and unpacking on a daily basis.  Carol had already made arrangements for the various shore excursions at 4 or the 5 ports-of-call.  All we had to do was relax and enjoy the ship.  She had preprinted the luggage tags before we left home and the bags would be delivered to our room.  The check-in time period on the dock was over 4 hours long to accommodate the 23 - 2400 passengers.  Their system was fast and efficient and it took us about 30 minutes time from exiting the cab to actually stepping on board the ship.  We had our pictures made for our ID cards (called “seapass”), a couple other forms to fill out and we were on board.  Their security system had us use the cards each time we left the ship and returned.  Each swipe of the card would call up our photo on their computer screens.  The cards were also used as “money” while on-board the ship.

As we boarded, we were directed / suggested to go to a large cafe on the top deck and get some lunch, etc. before finding our cabin as the rooms were not quite ready yet.  The food was wonderful and was “included” in our basic fare.  Only a few things were “extra” while on board, such as any alcoholic beverage (including also beer, cider, or wine), a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Shoppe, and internet service.  There were also a couple “upscale” restaurants that we could have utilized, but that would have been “extra” also since they were out of our fare range. I’ll say now that the food we had each meal was delicious and filling and we had a nice selection to choose from on the menus.

Our cabin attendant came to our room just moments after we entered to make sure how we wanted the beds made ( two singles or one large ) and to explain a few other things.  In the course of the conversation, it was mentioned that we were out of clean clothes and wondered if there was a laundromat on board we could use.  Long story made short, she gave us some bags for dirty clothes and forms to fill out and our dirty clothes disappeared until the next afternoon when they returned all clean and on hangers, etc. There was a cost for this service and it totaled about $95.00 USA dollars, but we had CLEAN clothes to wear!!  The cabin girl was from one of the Central American countries and was an absolute delightful person.

We walked around the ship some to explore and I took a short nap while Carol did some stuff with her camera and pictures on the computer. We had a compulsory life boat  / emergency drill shortly before sailing time. IF you were not there, your name was called and somebody would go looking for you. They were very serious about this drill. This wikipedia website gives some more information about this ship and her size and capacities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Vision_of_the_Seas  An interesting little side note about this ship is that her Captain is a woman from Denmark and she is one of five cruise ship captains in the ENTIRE cruise ship industry.  We heard her on the intercom at least twice each day and saw her a couple times from a distance.  She was probably under the age of 45…??

Dinner was at the opposite end of the ship and we were scheduled to dine “fashionably late” with an 8:45PM seating.

After dinner, I crashed in bed to read a bit and Carol was still tinkering with her photos on her computer. We’re scheduled to arrive in Kristiansand, Norway at 9:00 AM in the morning.  See you for breakfast!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 12:07 am

Rick I have to ask ya, did you gain any weight on your trip!Wink 

Max just had a check/see and he is just standing in his corner where he stands at night next to the new gelding Zeus, relaxed but NOT wanting to lay down or roll thank goodness....we'll check on him several times thru the night....

Man, its chilly here tonight, down into the 30's....we didn't have it this cold until the end of Dec last year, but it warms up to the 60's before our morning tea is over...so am not complaining.

Can't believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner and then Christmas....wow! We have been here in texas livimg for a year now...hard to believe...and we still have SOOOOO much to do....
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 2:25 am

Nope. CB....We did a LOT of walking!...and besides....calories don't count when on vacation do they?

...and I don't think I lost any weight either.  We did have some good meals and desserts at dinner though!!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 am

GRAYMARE: A couple of years ago we took a bus full of Veterans down to DC to see the WWII Memorial. It was a moving experience to see the old vets and their faces when we got to the Memorial. The bus trip was a nightmare but was so worth the hassle. Those monuments in DC are amazing to see. We visited the Korean Monument and Viet Nam Wall also. Lots of tears shed that day. Those Honor Flights are such a wonderful thing for the Veterans to experience. God bless the people who take the guys to see their monument. When you watch those little old men, shuffling along with tears in their eyes, it breaks your heart. It is hard to imagine them fighting a war as young men.

Hey ARK...my photo disappeared. Congrats on your first ride on the Arieon. She is turning into a great horse.

CB: WOW poor Max, a bout of colic is not fun for horse or owners, nothing more fun than sleeping at the barn watching a sick horse. Glad to hear he is OK and now you and Harry can get some well deserved sleep.

We dug up the last of the potatoes yesterday, about 20 pounds of potatoes, we thought they would be rotted away by now but nope, they are some nice potatoes. The garden is officially finished for the year. WHEW

Love & prayers fpr all.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Trudy, yep, Max was really cooperative last night, only once did we have to put coats on and shoes to go check, all the other checks he was in the light area where I could see him just standing there and snoozing, head relaxed down....that was good cuz everytime he would see us coming out he thought he was going to get fed! Poor guy.....With only handfuls of hay given yesterday, and nothing the day before ceptn a hand ful of grain with salt in it....I can tell ya a horse can poop a lot! We took the piles out and kept track of the number in two days...it was 28! The piles weren't huge, but they were good sized. I didn't think a horse could have that much in them!specially with such little food given during the two days. He was really full of ya know what!Shocked 

Joey is marching in the veterans parade on Saturday. Jessi had the honor of teaching a colonel how to march for the parade! She hadn't marched since she started in the AF, she needed a quick lesson! Jessi marches with her troops everyday, and woe if any p!ss her off, cuz then she gets to run, and she loves to run....and you can betcha the troops that got her mad just don't do it again! All she has to say is " troop, do you like to run" and they shut up and do what they are spose to do. She has also taken self defense lessons for protection as she is out on the base perimeter a lot with guys and gals alone....and she is allowed a stun gun on the cart if she takes the cart, which usually she just runs with the troublemakers. It is not a military like when my hubby was in for sure, she says its like babysitting mouthy teenagers...but she says usually running ten miles takes the mouthiness right away! You can imagine, Jessi JUST sqeaks in at 5 feet and 110 lbs..but she always has her radio on her too. I don't think any of them would catch her if she was running! LOL
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Day 18 … are we there yet?

We were up at 7:00, showered and seated in the dining room while we were still at sea.  As it turned out, this would be the only time we ate breakfast in the dining room.  I had kinda / sorta what I wanted which was 2 eggs scrambled, bacon, toast, juice and coffee. Carol had tea and toast.  Food was tasty, but I think my “2” eggs were on the small side!!

When we had checked in yesterday and got to our cabin, there was an envelope there that had tickets in it for our shore excursions that Carol had selected and paid for before we left home.  We were directed to the theatre at a specified time after breakfast and presented out tickets in exchange for a sticker number to stick on clothing and directed where to sit in the theatre.  At a given time, a person led all #3’s through the ship and to the outside where we were assigned a bus bearing #3 on its signage.  We thought the system worked rather smoothly considering the number of people trying to leave the ship in a short time frame.

Our excursion included a driving tour of Kristiansand, a short walking tour of the fishing village of Hollen and an live presentation through some old buildings of the Vest-Agder Folk Museum.  

This gets you to a wikipedia about Kristiansand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristiansand while this site (after the first 30 seconds) shows some of the scenery we viewed on our way into the harbor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhq1YkxC9Aw and, YES, the small islands were that close to the ship!

Our “tour guide” there at the folk museum was a young woman that obviously enjoyed telling her “stories” and was really quite humorous.  She was dressed in a native costume of the 16-1700’s. The outdoor museum … Vest-Agder Folk Museum … was really interesting as our guide took us inside these old farm homes and explained just how life was really like in the 16 - 1700’s:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vest-Agder_Museum_Kristiansand  You’ll find more pictures here in this collection:  https://www.google.com/search?q=vest-agder+museum&client=firefox-a&hs=3Xt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mgh8UuicBJCgyAHM3YCIDg&ved=0CHsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=579

I mentioned above that we had a short walking tour of the fishing village of Hollen.  As it turned out, our bus guide had family there and she was quite proud to point out their home. There really wasn’t a lot to see except that the village was very neat, clean and quiet and was nicely reflected on the water..  We were put off the bus and walked several blocks to a convenience store / cafe / boat dock and had a rest break there.  The bus was already there ahead of us.  This shows a little bit about how pretty and clean it was:  http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g190492-d319171-r182361826-Kristiansand_Domkirke-Kristiansand_Vest_Agder_Southern_Norway.html#REVIEWS 

We were required to be back on board the ship by 4:30PM.  When we left ship, we “badged out” with our seapass card and we were also “badged in” on returning.  Any packages, etc. were screened also like at an airport.  We were back on board by mid afternoon, and since we were in “2nd seating” for dinner at 8:45PM, we had a late lunch in the Windjammer Cafe.  I took a short nap while Carol washed / rinsed out some socks and PJs and then went up to the internet cafe to check on email, etc.  She had “difficulty” with her computer while trying to log out.  The customer service desk guy came to her rescue and helped her get off the computer and then gave her a $15.00 credit.  Nice guy and he was MY HERO to take care of her problem.

Tonight was the first of our “Formal Dining” meal functions and we dressed up for it.  Thank goodness it did NOT require a tuxedo or evening gown … Carol dressed “real nice” and I had a coat and tie.  We were at an assigned table for the entire cruise and had the same BIG SMILING FACE waiter and assistant.  There were 4 couples at the table and Johnny had taken our names last night and called us by name tonight as we came in.  IF I could show you the pictures that Carol made of our meals, you (reading this now) would probably drool and gain weight just by looking.  The menu arrangement was explained as there were several items that would “always” be on the menu along with the “Chef’s suggestion.”  Johnny also had his own suggestion.  He is a native of Panama, and spoke very nice English.

SNOOP writes:  “Miss Carol just has to know answers to silly things sometimes, and tonight was no different.  She asked Johnny who folded the cloth napkins each night.  He replied that the wait staff did as part of their duties. “Well, you MUST have been to a napkin folding school!” At that, Johnny’s face lit up and he proceeded to teach us all how to fold napkins real fancy like.  Each night after dinner and the tables cleared, Johnny would give us another lesson on folding napkins.  All eight of us had a wonderful time learning about napkin folding!!”

By the time we finished eating and getting to know the other folk at the table, it was late and we were ready for bed.  Fortunately /  unfortunately … the dining room was at the rear of the ship and our cabin was at the front and 4 floors down.  Its a long walk and a good way to walk off a full meal.

See you tomorrow when we arrive in Stavanger, Norway at 11:00 AM.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

RICK, this vacation is too much fun..................and I haven't even gained weight yet. Also, the bike ride wasn't really that bad. I enjoyed it. LOL

Really funny morning.................fed Faith first half of her breakfast around 5 then back in for coffee etc........I took my coffee outside around 6:15 to hear the birds wake up and watch my neighbors off to work and kids off to school............at 6:15 I hear bam bam bam etc and realized the boy next door was practiding drums out in their "shop".......actually he is getting quite good. Then TL wakes up comes out and hears the bam bam bam and loud music.......
He says "what the hell is that?" I answer and he, too, is surprised how good he's getjting.
On ahead to about 8:30 when school bus comes for the little twin boys. I called to their mom how good B was getting on the drums..............LMAO, the neighbor on the other side of them
(two old sort of bags) called her and complained earlier...............there you have it. Seriously, it was not bomb blasting noise, but you could hear it..............I said for him to practice louder so all the neighbors could hear and we would then take a neighborhood vote. We both laughed. The two older bags complain a lot about "the hood" so noone even listens anymore. Their last complaint was over kids (around 10) in a golf cart riding around laughing and screaming on a Saturday in mid afternoon. I was home, outside, and they were having a great time not bothering anyone. Our neighborhood has no access to "public" streets except the entry back here so we have no traffic................The 15 yr olds drive around and around.........they back in driveways, parallel park, etc............honk, wave, and feel like real road warriors.

Anyhow, fun to hang on the porch and hear all the catch up....................

Everyone have a good day. God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:34 pm

GRAYMARE:
Your neighbors probably wouldn't like my peacocks, guineas or donkey Laughing . When they all get going, along with the hungry horses calling for their dindin, it can sound like a riot going on sometimes.

TRUDY:
I can't get over someone trying to steal your split rail fencing. Is it chestnut or walnut? Seems like some heavy lifting for a bit of moola.....although there was a rash of plants being stolen off porches a few years ago in our old county. I guess there are people who will steal about anything not nailed down sometimes. Rolling Eyes 

CB:
I am so glad that Maxx is doing okay after his colic scare. That is just not a good thing and can go either way. There is a cold front heading this way next week (possible SNOW....NOOOO!), and the barometric pressure will surely change along with the temps. That is when there will be colics around here. We will be plugging in the electric water buckets this weekend, a little early, but worth it if it keeps the horses drinking and not colicking.

RICK:
No fair. I have gained weight reading about your vacation meals Laughing . I like the boat idea, not having to travel on one's own and having the sights to visit come to the traveler is a great idea! You sure had a nice vacation. Did Carol study up on the languages before leaving or is there enough English spoken to get around easily in those countries?

CAROL:
Safe trip!! I think you are leaving at a good time! Is Midge all packed?

It has been cold and windy here the past couple of days. Too windy. And not enough daylight in the evenings to get everything done before dark. I just got in from putting up the horses for the night. They spent the windy day in the arena today, a change for them now that it isn't too hot in there during the day. It is easier to pick up after them in the arena than in and around the barn.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 pm

today was cooler with some rain, we put a light sheet blanket on Max to ward off a chill cuz he's only been getting small amounts of hay, today he cut a half cup of grain soaked up with his small amounts of hay several times a day. We will have to watch him next week, Tuesday is spose to be down to 33 at night time....wheweeee....that's cold here! Daytime temps in the 60's and 70's....I like it! Hope Max likes it too! Poor guy....I feel for him having to have tests done where I had to be on totally liquid diet....I no like that!
Hubby went shopping at his favorite place, the lumber store,...he buys the seconds to build things with. He made a couple of really nice dog house, with a roof that lifts up to clean or put bedding in; and a porch on the front for the dogs to sun theirselves....the dogs were ga ga over their new homes! We left the aframe ones in their for summer as we can shut up the back for winter temps, and then for summer temps we Next on his list is to underpen the camper for winter, and then he will buld me a porch and laundry room on...yesssssss....that will be nice, plus keeps him busy as a bee and out of my hair! Razz 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Glad Maxx is doing so well...............I agree, a blankie/jammie might be good for him at 33 degrees.................I'm letting Faith get a coat and will blanket her only in storms. Her blankie is at the ready. I make sure I bring her in if a storm is predicted. She seems fine so far. She gets worked 4-5 days a week......................basically light work and time spent maintaining her princess routine..................LOL

ARK, brrrrrrrrr. Late fall begins..............

Off to see some Clydes today.....actually a rescue and NO, I'm NOT bringing one home. I will give to the hay fund.................

Everyone have a good day..............

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 2:02 pm

ARK ... Carol DOES make a little card with how to pronounce certain "social" words...Please...Thank you...Where is...??.  My old Southern tongue just can't quite pronounce some of these words!!  Carol ... on the other hand...loves language(s) and really as an ear for it.  I don't...I just use my SMILE and let her do the communication when its not possible to use English.  That way, she has the "last word"!!Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Day 19 … we watched ...

… her parallel park this old rust bucket!

Due to the scheduled late arrival in Stavanger, we were able to sleep in till 8:30 and then have a leisurely breakfast in the Windjammer Cafe.  The cafe is self-serve and has a huge selection of breakfast type food.  Since I’m an old country boy, I filled up on eggs, sausage, toast, etc. and Carol got some cereal, toast and tea.  We were able to get a window seat and enjoyed the scenery passing by.  The neat thing was watching our captain parallel park this rust bucket of a ship that is over 900 feet long.  She had a great view from an outside control platform that just happened to be down below us and right under where we were seated.  As a recently retired professional truck driver, I really take notice of how well a person handles a large vehicle or piece of machinery.  I fully expected to feel at least a tiny bump since I was watching for it, but never felt a thing. Captain Lis can “paddle my canoe” anytime!!

Today was overcast with the threat of rain and it was “cold” for me.  We were scheduled to take a smaller boat on a tour of the Stavanger area and on into the fjords. You’ll learn in this wikipedia site that Stavanger is an old city...dating back to the early / mid 1100s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavanger  This youtube video will show you some of the scenery we saw while on our boat tour around Stavanger and on up into the fjords.  Even though it started to rain, and was cold if you stood outside the cabin, the views were just fabulous and well worth the inconvenience and slight discomfort when outside:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHP_MZkxOMk This video is 11 minutes long, but shows you some more of the breathtaking scenery of the fjords of Norway.  Please look at some of the video to get just a tiny idea of the beauty and grandeur of this place.  As spectacular as the video is, it pales in comparison to seeing it in person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWljXtPee9Q  We pulled in and docked at some cultural information center and restaurant and were treated to a delicious light meal of waffles topped with strawberry jam and whipped cream and washed down with coffee (and hot tea for Carol).    I really can’t seem to find any informational site for this stop, but believe me … somebody (would that be me??) sure enjoyed the tasty meal / snack.  After finally getting back to the harbor, we pulled in and docked right in front of our floating home.

Carol did some exploring on her own and I retired to our cabin for a short rest and did some reading in a book.  Needless to say, I was soon asleep!  While she was out exploring … and taking photos, “something” caused her to do a bit of serious retail therapy.  I have NO IDEA how big a hit the credit card sustained, but Carol deserves a few nice personal things to remind her of this trip and to also compensate herself for a lot of work in putting together the plans for this most ambitious trip we’ve ever done.  She brought back some beautiful pieces of jewelry along with a few postcards and many pictures in her camera.  What do you think of this: http://www.hotpotnorge.com/

Dinner tonight was a delicious chicken meal for me and lamb (??) for Carol.  Dessert was “pavlova with strawberry sauce and kiwi” for Carol while I suffered with “warm chocolate cake a la mode.”  Johnny gave us another lesson on folding napkins after dinner … a crown and also a slipper / shoe design.  We had fun as a group at the dinner table!

During the night, we could occasionally feel a slight, gentle rocking of the ship as Capt. Lis took us north to Alesund.  It really was just a slight rocking … enough to put you to ssssnnzzzzzz!  We’ll see you there!!

As a side note, today was the farthest we had ever been ‘north’.  Prior to today, that had been the Orkney Islands off the northern part of mainland Scotland.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Day 20 … Can it get any better …        

…. than not having to worry about driving … or breakfast … or seeing some of the most scenic vistas anywhere on earth?  I think not!  Capt. Lis got us there right on time at 11:00 AM!

Lets start with another wikipedia site that is about the city of Alesund.  Please be sure to scroll down about half way for a nice panorama picture.  Our ship was docked “just out of sight” on the right side of the photo. There are some other photos in this site if you’ll scroll on down.  Be sure to click on the smaller pictures to enlarge them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ålesund  We DID get up  higher, but the weather was somewhat foggy when we were there. Most any web site you find about Alesund will mention the Mt. Aksla viewpoint and its 418 steps to the top. Well, my mother didn’t raise all dummies and we took a bus tour to the top of this mountain!  This collection of pictures will show you what the scenery would have been like had it not been so foggy: http://www.google.com/search?q=alesund+norway&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FKl-UtOGMMfmqwHl3oHACg&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1282&bih=599  The bus ride up / down was interesting and I was once again marveling at the way the driver handled his vehicle … it was a big bus!!  

(May I remind you, the reader, that I’m “researching” (on the computer) this trip as I write this.  Sometimes I find a website that has pictures and information about more than just one attraction visited. The problem is that I’m using Carol’s scrapbook as a guide and occasionally get “lost” between her book and the order I find things on the computer.  Please forgive me … but it sure is an enjoyable experience for me!!)

One of the attractions that we were able to visit was the Sunnmore Folk Open Air Museum.  Our guide there told us some about the history of the museum’s buildings and pointed out some things that you might not notice or even wonder about … ie … rodent control.  See if you can find the answer in this web site.  This site also gives a nice, simple history lesson about a part of Alesund’s past as well as good photos of the museum:  http://www.lutherjett.com/northsea/alesund.html

After the tour, I went back on board to rest and give my tired feet a much deserved break, ( OK … I’ll admit I’m a bit lazy!! ) and Carol did some shopping in town.  When she returned, we went to the Windjammer for a late lunch and then some exploring on the ship.  She also worked on her pictures from the day.

I really hate to keep talking about food, but dinner was another spectacular meal for me.   I ordered beef, etc. and Carol had chicken, etc. The appetizers were almost like dessert as Carol had pretty well talked the entire table into trying their “cold fruit soup.”  This was / is a carry over from a previous cruise she had made earlier in the year that I did not go on.  Tonight’s offering was a strawberry bisque (cream soup).  She has been asking / reminding Alex (Dining room manager…??) of her fondness for the cold fruit soups and he keeps promising he will get her the recipe(s). Alex would visit each table checking to see if everything was good and would also comment about what the weather forecast was for tomorrow and about some of the attractions to be seen. On the last night of the cruise, he gave her 6 recipes for the delicious dishes.  We think they were from an official Royal Caribbean cookbook and he was able to sneak that part to her.

Tonight’s lesson was on the “crown” napkin folding.

Tomorrow we are scheduled to arrive in Geiranger which is WAY inland from the open ocean on one of the fjords.  I’m sure Capt. Lis will do it even though it will be in the dark and in the narrow fjords.  We are due to arrive at 7:00 AM … just minutes after the 6:49 sunrise.  Good Night!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:43 am

I am sitting here at my cousin's house after spending the day at the carving show. I'll share pictures when I get home on Monday.:
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 1:25 am

Max is at the vets ....took him in this morning, and he is spending the night. He just wasn't acting right....I got worried, called Jessi early and she came out and we took him in. All the tests were ok, but on the low end of the spectrum, and the vet believed he had inflamed intestines from the colic. They were going to treat him with something to coat the stomach and intestines today and in the morning and also give him some fluids. We are all hoping this will put him back on the road to good recovery. The vet said it was good we didn't wait any longer. I just knew he wasn't walking quite right and seemed so tired, poor guy. Vet thinks he will be fine tho, he is young and basically healthy, altho the intestines is a large part of a horse, and not to be taken lightly when inflamed. We didn't make the parade to see Joey's unit marching in it tho....and then hubby and I went to some yard sales and got some fly spray for the horses at Tractor Supply, came home and got all the critters fed/watered and checked on and have been watching xmas movies. I've been getting up thru the night checking on him, tonight I am going to zonk and catch up on my z's. Sweet Dreams Y'all.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 pm

CB:
Poor Max.  I hope he is feeling better this morning.  (((((Max)))))

ELLEN:
 I was wondering where you were off to.  Did you have fun at the carving show?  I look forward to the pix!

RICK:
 It is amazing they can park those big boats without slamming into something.  Did the cost of the boat ride about equal what you would have spent on hotels and vehicles?  That would make it even more worthwhile!  Donnie and I took a sleeper train from Scotland to London and it was about the same as a hotel room, so found it very worthwhile.  And it was a lot of fun being on an Orient Express sort of vehicle!

TRUDY:
 We got our US flag hanging in the yard for Veterans Day! I spent a couple of hours yesterday refreshing our farm sign, which is under the flag.  I had the help of three cats, two of which don't get along, while I was sitting on the ground painting the sign.  Rolling Eyes  There's only so much lap space....

November 2013 - Page 2 Gktd
Can you tell it is windy today?

GRAYMARE:
 Is Faith getting round yet?  It amazed me how long it took our mares to look pregnant.  

SUNNY:
 How's the weather? We need some warm weather news!

CAROL:
 Are you on the road this weekend?  Safe trip!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 2:00 pm

ARK...I just posed your question to Carol. By the time we factored in good meals and the NO DRIVING STRESS, we felt the cruise was a good bargain. The shore excursions were extra of course, but worth the cost of NOT having to find our way around. I really enjoy driving when out in the more rural areas, but can get real tense real quick when in cities like so much of this trip involved. Do it again? ... in a heartbeat!!

Your overnight train is something I haven't done before. I bet that was quite an experience!! Maybe someday we can do something like that if I can keep SNOOP from blowing the train horn all the time!!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:33 pm

well Ark, here it is, our weather is warming up to 80 today and by tuesday it will go back to the 70's with 50's at night but very pleasent and warm lots of sun so there is our weather for Florida,
I finaly got my car fixed to my satisfaction so am feeling better about it and the insurance company finaly paid me for my scooter trailer so I orderd the hitch and it will be in Monday so will pick up my trailer Tuesday, and Wednesday I am off and running, first, to the flea market down the road from me and am planning a Disney trip for smetime this month
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm

RICK:
I'd love to do a sleeper car train ride all over Britain and stop to see sights along the journey. I am not sure if such a vacation package exists, but it would be fun. Donnie did all the driving, and only got us going down the wrong side of the road twice Laughing , but not having to worry about driving in big cities would be nicer, less stressful. It would be great if the U.S. had as nice a train system as the U.K. does.

SUNNY:
It's good to hear that your vehicle problems are getting solved! Which part of Disney are you going to? I loved the Animal Kingdom park. My sisters will be down there in late Feb for a half marathon. That would be a good time to go to Disney, I think.

CB:
How is Max doing this morning?

We have been out working on the new woodshed. The wind will blow your hair off.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Iwill start out by goingto Magic kingdom, they have a new section of the castle where the princess from tangled, the princess from scottland with the curly red hair and twin brothers can't remember the name of it bt anyway it is whole new section with new attractions, then I will go to Epcot, then Hollywood park, and last and best Animal Kingdom, on different days to stretch it out am looking foward to it
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 pm

CB, I hate it when one of "our" horses is in the hosp...................let us hear soon how it's going.

Have some good fun SUNNY...............

RICK CAROL, I'm loving our vacation.............

Love your flag ARK...................
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 am

Happy Veterans Day everyone...

ARK:  Nice picture on the top of the forum.  Your flag looks great blowing in the wind.  George is busy putting all his flags out for Veterans Day.  He puts one on every fence post and we have a couple large flags that are busy blowing in the wind also.

CB:  Tell Jess, Joey & Harry we said "thanks for your service."    Hope Max is doing better today.  Don't ya feel like Nurse Nancy at times? Between the horses, dogs, cats, kids and hubby, us girls have to be Nurse Nancy.  HAHAHA  I think I remember reading that one horse can make over a ton of poop, not sure if they meant over a lifetime or one year.  Sometimes it seemed like Jazzy could do that in one year.

SUNNY:  Have a great time, after all you have been thru lately you certainly deserve some fun in your life.

At church yesterday they recognized the veterans and gave all the vets a nice bag of candy.  CANDY...yummmmmmm  I tried to get a couple pieces out of it, but George said "vets only".  LOL  I know he will give me the stuff he doesn't like.  Just like a kid at Halloween, he is guarding the good stuff.

Have a wonderful Veterans Day.  If you see a Veteran don't forget to thank them for their service to our country.

November 2013 - Page 2 Hwry  November 2013 - Page 2 Yi1q

Love & prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Hey guys, I forgot to say this. You would be proud of me, I read my first book on my Kindle Fire over the weekend. I still like books better, but at least I tried it and may use it again. It wasn't all that difficult to figure out.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Praise and sincere thanks to our Vets!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2013
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next