Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

April 2012

Go down 
+14
TallyPam
Appy
Beech
Eileen
Carol W
Santa
BarTGila
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Ellen E
Manygatess
sunny 57
cb
Ark
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Indyapp

April 2012 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 pm

My weekend started off pretty good. Left work early on Thursday for a dentist appointment, at least it was only a cleaning. However, the poor guy in the next room must have been having a number of teeth extracted and it was NOT without pain. I’m a white knuckle dentist patient as it is and his moaning and yells were not helping me any. I was about half sick by the time I left just from listening to him. Friday was good though. We were closed so I had the whole day to play. And it was a beautiful day to play. I went to the horse auction in the morning. There are two really big auctions each year, Good Friday and the day after Thanksgiving, and I’ve never been to either so Friday I went. I was good. I didn’t buy anything although I did bid on a couple of pieces of equipment that ended up going for more than if the lady would have bought it retail. People get caught up in the bidding and get carried away. Then I went home and rode Monster and told him what a good life he has with me.

Saturday I went into the office and took a test for my CFP study program. Boy was I surprised when I discovered I passed it! I wasn’t expecting to, I was just taking it for measuring purposes. Now I get to sign up for a cram class and sit for the real exam. The rest of Saturday was a shopping day, groceries, Walmart , that sort of thing nothing too exciting until after I had gone to bed. Got woke up by the sound of thundering hooves. That kept thundering. Back and forth. Got up, looked out the window didn’t see anything. Not good. Tried a different window. Still no sign of movement, but then I heard the thundering again. Unfortunately it was coming from the front side of the house. HORSES IN THE FRONT YARD!! Jumped into clothes and shoes and took off for the barn. I learned a long time ago first things first. Grain to bribe them to be caught and halters to put on. Trying to find two black horses in the middle of the night is a trick. Sophie and Tiberius at least have white patches that show up pretty good in the moonlight. Fortunately they were all staying pretty much together, even if they did go visit the neighbor across the street. I was able to locate them by hearing the clatter of hooves going down the paved driveway. Another fortunate thing is that the back of Sonny’s property is fenced in and they couldn’t go into the housing development behind him. Sophie’s greed for grain finally was their downfall. If Sophie was going to eat grain then the others wanted it too. Get them all back to the barn only to discover that the gate that I never use and is tied shut was standing wide open. Well, at least I now knew how they got out. I have no idea how the gate got open unless someone (of the two legged variety) opened it, but I can prove nothing. Oh, and it started to rain just as we were walking back home, so yes it did rain on Easter Sunday.

Sunday was another beautiful although chilly day. Did laundry, tried to get the lawnmower put back together, (I take the battery out for the winter) and made a roast for Bill, his daughter and my dinner. Never did get the lawnmower going, but the battery is back in but with the charger hooked up. Hoping it will start tonight. Today I’ve done research on who offers the cram class for the CFP, where it’s offered and how much it costs. Finally settled on Northwestern University in Chicago on June 13-16. The exam is in July. I think I’m going to puke.

CB, definitely sounds like Charmin is close. Doesn't look as if she's going to make it to the new moon as I guessed.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 pm

well nuthin yet!

We gave her fresh bedding and scrubbed all the tanks and tubs out and filled with fresh water, tried the parade saddle on Tank...it kinda didn't feel real good on my inside of my thighs...trying to figure that one out...it would only be used for parades tho....have to get ties on the bridle headstall as the screws arn't quite right there...don't trust them either!...and a longer latigo and girth/cinch...Tank is a big boy! I got pics, will take in to Wal Mart one of these days and pass them to ARK.

IndyApp:what is CFP...did I get that right? I probably forgot if you told us! CRS..that I know I got right!

It was downright sweaty warm out there today...and I'm still not feeling the greatest..my energy levels are LOW! but I'll live I guess....I go back to the dentist tomorrow tho, y'all wish me luck!

Well, its bath time and then to wal mart to get dinner! My microwave quit this week too, its been one of those weeks, my stove already done quit...geesh...I'm cooking on a hotplate! oh well, I have to be creative!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 pm

CB, get a nice big electric skillet. You can cook almost anything in one of those, and they aren't too expensive. You can even bake in them.
When I moved back in here when the remodeling was going on, I lived very comfortably with an electric skillet and a camping size refrigerator for a little over a month.

Not too cold today, but it sure was windy. I hear we have some cold nights coming up. That will probably ruin my new tulips that are just now blooming.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 am

CB, sorry about the jargon. CFP is Certified Financial Planner, kind of like the CPA designation for accountants. There is a whole rig-a-ma-role you have to go thru to be allowed to use the designation. The education portion that has to be an approved program which is what I have just finished and has taken me about 18 months. I did mine on-line through Boston University. Then the comprehensive exam that I'll be sitting for in July. A minimum of so many years in the industry, that I have already qualified for, and then approval by the governing board for admittance. And then when it's all done and over, I'll probably only ever use a small portion of what I have learned in real world practice. And I will have continuing education that I will have to keep up on annually to be able to continue to keep the designation. But it looks good on the resume. More than you ever wanted to know about CFP, huh?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 pm

No, but it sounds great for you...more money with this I hope! Sounds interesting...altho I don't know what a financial planner does...Hubby has some invested thru work, so we don't really go to anyone else....figure we'll die poor but happy! But it sounds good for you to further your career. Good for you for having the inititive to go forth and do it! Proud of you!

NO BABY YET! crazy horse! Her bag is engorged with milk...and her belly looks totally different, more flat angles toward the back side now and her butt jiggles when she walks and her vulva area is getting longer and more relaxed...its interesting to see the changes in her. Yesterday she let me walk up to her and brush her without catching her up...maybe she just didn't have the oomph to run away it was quite warm yesterday.

We went to look at a 6 yr old appy mare last night but she was soooo headshy couldn't touch her ears...I'd like to work with her, but hubby says NO not while I'm by myself....darn....the guy is going to dogfood her...and she is a well built 15 hand pretty roan Appy, and put together nicely too. He said if he were home more, we could work with her...I feel bad for her, cuz I can see potential there. Sad
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 am

Back on my Kindle........no computer connection from Verizon at all.....sigh...

Indyapp
Congrats on the test results!!!!!!!!! That is really great!
I hope one of your horses was just playing with the gate and you don't have someone letting your horses out. That is scary. Good job on getting them back in!

CB
Why not just keep Charmin instead of getting another horse? She sounds very nice. How is she today? Friday is the day I picked for your contest. Not long now!

I had a riding lesson with Lori yesterday. I can barely wiggle today. We used her saddle that made me balance differently. I am sure I have bruises on my bruises.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 am

Ark, well you learn something new every day. You can post from your Kindle. I have one but all I have figured out to do with it is read and buy tons and I mean tons of ebooks. I love the thing though because I can up the print size and with my poor arthritic hands I can not hold big books for long. I got two huge books for Christmas and I am only a few pages into the Stephen King one because I can't hold the thing up to read it.

Off today to get my studded snow tires off. Sitting in Les Schwabs for hours is just how I want to spend my day. I will be reading the previously mentioned Kindle while I wait. Smile
Back to top Go down
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

Now why did that not show up in large print..test to see if I did not do it right.
Back to top Go down
flessasgold

flessasgold

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 am

d]BART]if you go to www.pixelofink.com you can sign up for a daily email of free books for the Kindle. I am so far behind on my freebies it is unreal.
Back to top Go down
flessasgold

flessasgold

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 am

hmmm....that looks a bit odd....
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 pm

ARK, I think Charmin would make a good cutting or team sorting horse for someone who could teach her....but for me, she still has a big trust issue, and she can't seem to get over that to bond with me. She's certainly gotten better and more trusting than she was for sure, but its just not there that feeling of feeling safe around her, I have to watch continuously! I want a horse I can relax around and truly enjoy. I think she will make my friend a really good brood mare, that's all she has been since she was 3, and he will take good care of her needs and he doesn't work so he can spend time with her. George is over 6 feet tall and more able to get her to listen and to trust him at the same time. His wife is also into horses. Charmin is not use to someone Loving on her...she is just so stiff and when she thinks she is done with ya messin with her, she lays those ears back and you know to get out of her way...and I've been working with her for almost a year now, in June....I just can't break thru that outer shell...I don't know what else I can do for her either...its been totally uphill battle....she loads good and stands tied well, travels well, lets me brush her without haltering her now...and doesn't charge me and want to see how I taste anymore...but there is just something there that I don't see ever coming around to being a good mount, and she HATES all other horses with a passion! But she is an excellent mama, I just have to get my hands on those babies asap to teach them I'm not bad Max has turned out just fine...Jessi is leading the youngest gd around on him already...just short distance in the round corral, but he's already had a bareback pad on him and she said he never even moved...she started tying things on the saddle with a little weight, and she's tied plastic bottles on their to make noise, she said he just looked and said "ok". She can free lunge him and he does great! She only works him for a few minutes as he is so young...but he seems not to have inherited his moms distrust. He ties, he can be bathed, farrier has trimmed him with no problems, he loads and travels good...she hauls him out with Nikki the old mare and she ponies him along and he does great with that...on the other hand Nikki has her ears back the whole time she says! Horses are funny critters...Nikki just doesn't want him near her kid!

I think Charmin is spiting me...hangin on tight...she wants that baby all to herself as long as she can! LOL
Back to top Go down
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Fleesa thanks I had not seen that site before. Now I will have tons more books to pile up waiting to be read. LOL
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 pm

FLESSA, thanks so much for the site............I downloaded two books. Plus, I will get going to find more. I love you

No news here. Oh, day 1. beach, lunch, beach, dinner, party, bed.

Day 2. beach, lunch, beach, dinner, party, bed.

Day 3. ditto

etc.......................FUN, CRAZY, OLD LADIES.

I need abdominal muscle surgery for resolution of
laughter overkill.
Back to top Go down
flessasgold

flessasgold

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Now, that sounds like a great way to spend a vacation!

I get an email everyday but don't always find something that sparks my interest. And perhaps gotten hooked on some serials. Smile So far I've only found one that I doubt I will finish.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Graymare, sounds like a wonderful vacation...I'd say have fun, but you beat me too that I think! I sincerely hope you don't have to have surgery to fix those LAFF muscles!

FLESSA: I don't have a kindle, but that sounds like a great site and one day who knows...I may have one!

We are preparing for a nasty thunderstorm...guess I'd better feed a tad early and come and find my candles and lighter....or I may just go to bed...I feel exhausted to be honest. big sigh.....
Back to top Go down
flessasgold

flessasgold

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 pm

CB, I don't have a Kindle either but if you have an Iphone/Ipad, go to the app store and download the app from there. Or if you have an Android you can find an app there too. And of course, you can download an app for your PC from amazon.com.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm

LOL what did you just say? I'm so modern technology illiterate...Its a wasted cause with me! I have a phone now that has a slide out keyboard that makes texting easier, and takes pics.....that's as far as I've gotten, and i have my lil laptop thingy...maybe one day....one day down the road...I guess I'm just happy and fat and stupid! Wink Exclamation
Back to top Go down
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:50 pm

CB if you have a laptop you can download the Kindle for computers for free and there are tons of free books you can get. I had that for quite awhile before I got the Kindle. It is a nifty little program and there are several other book sites that will download to it as well.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 am

My laptop is small and its hooked to its own phone number.....would that effect my usage minutes or bytes or whatever they are called?

ARK, we need that lil shruggy guy....I could use the lil fella! LOL

Well, no puppies and no foal yet.....

I saw a huge fox today in with the horses, and the silly horses just stood there, never even blinked....I made all the noise I could to scare it away, but something has been crappin on my front porch and I bet its him! He will I'm afraid have to go the way of the raccoons....I don't want him taking off with any of my doxies....I can only hope he gets in with Charmin AFTER she has that baby and let her stomp the crap out of him! Other wise I may be on fox watch and I'll shoot the crap out of him! I would leave Bubba out with me, but am afraid the fox may be carrying diseases...and don't want him biting Bubba anywhere...altho I would put my money on my Great Dane, he outweighs him by a bunch and he protects his territory...but foxey poo has got to go!
Back to top Go down
flessasgold

flessasgold

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 am

can we post videos here? or just links?

apparently just links. hmmm.. not sure I want to post a video of 2PONY and Ruth in a public forum like youtube..

Last edited by flessasgold on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : answered my own question I think)
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

CB, can you use your computer without using a cell signal? Is there something you can do to turn that off? If so, the only air charges would be for the few seconds it takes to download the program, and the few seconds it would take to download a book. When you order a book from Amazon, it literally takes only a few seconds to get it. Then turn off the wireless connection to read.
Your other option would be to get a Kindle 3G that works like a cellphone to order and download books. There is no charge for that. I have a neighbor who has one of those and couldn't be happier.
Here's the link to the 3G:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005890G8O/ref=sa_menu_kdpwtso33
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am

Flessa
Thanks for that website...I will use that! I also get free eBooks from the Gutenberg Project. I will post that website if I ever get back on my computer. No sign of Verizon fixing the problem yet. I may go postal.....I am not sure about posting videos here...I'll check that out soon. I have been sent links to private youtube videos that cannot be opened by anyone who wasn't sent the link.

CB
I have the shruggy guy on my computer and will install him when Verizon gets us back on the internet. We have a resident fox, too. He climbed up on our peacock dome and made off with a roosting guinea last winter. I have to round up all our fowl and lock them up every night. I am sure the fox killed my old barncat,Daphne, last year. I am not too happy about him. The best that can be said about him is that his presence indicates that the coyotes we can hear over the next hill are not on our property....yet.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:10 am

Fleesa you can post a video to youtube and make it private. I do that all the time on my youtube channel. That way only the people who have the link can watch it.

The new Kindle Fire is cheaper than the old 3G's so look at them too. I was thinking of replacing the Kindle I have now for a Fire.

I have never seen a fox around here but we have tons of coyotes. Also tons of rabbits which is way all the coyotes. The coyotes have killed a couple of my chickens but the neighbors dogs are the biggest chicken killers around here. I no longer let my chickens run free. They are in a pen that is portable and I move it every few days so they have nice new grass to tear the crap out of. LOL
Back to top Go down
flessasgold

flessasgold

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 am

Here is a short video of 2PONY and Ruth during a training period. You can barely hear her talking with Chris, her trainer. She follows Dennis Reis although she personally doesn't like the man so much anymore.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/bKYNj48Ja_0[/youtube]

It was still processing but should be available shortly (I hope)
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Ellen, it has to work off a cell tower...if my cell phone works, the computer works also...

When/IF i ever get to Texas I'm sure Jessi and Joey could help me a bunch on figuring these things out....

I feel old as a dragon not keeping up with all this new stuff....but at least I can keep in touch with my horsey friends and relatives...that is good for now.

I called on the appy mare last night, the man said a friend of his is going to try to work with her, but if that doesn't work out, I will get her and hope "the friend" didn't screw her up more....I just too much potential there in her to let her be in a can of Alpo...every time I fed my dogs canned food I would always wonder....Hubby will just have to get over it...or not... What a Face
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Still, we wait and wait....that mare sure knows how to yank my chain, I'm thinking she likes her midnight scritches over the fence every night.....you can hear her sigh...honestly.... Wink Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2012   April 2012 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

April 2012
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 50 Horse Friends :: Basket-
Jump to: