Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2015

Go down 
+6
Indyapp
Rick Angell
Ellen E
cb
Graymare
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Manygatess

January 2015 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 am

Happy New Year guys. I didn't go to Facebook, don't even have an account there. Please don't everyone go away from here. I sure would miss seeing all the horse photos, Rick's jokes and hearing what everyone is up to.

I'm still around, just busy doing the un decorating for the house after Christmas. The house looks so blah and boring now. It took me 3 days to get the tree taken apart and everything put away. I hate Jan and Feb, they are such blah months to get thru.

The Tuesday before Christmas I had to take Ace to the vet, he tore a skin tag almost off his leg when we were out in the fields. YUCK Minor surgery but still traumatic for Ace. Right after I made the pone call for Ace, I sat down was eating a chocolate covered pretzel and broke off a tooth. I had to make an immediate trip to the dentist who was kind enough to wait for me to arrive. They were closing for vacation when I called, after a mad dash to Lewisburg & $989 later I have a temp crown. Merry Christmas to me and Ace.

The weather has taken a nose dive here in PA. COLD, windy, snow and ice. BBRRRRRRRRR Winter has arrived, it's going to be 4 degrees later this week. Stay warm everyone and keep posting, I'm a daily lurker even if I don't post.

Love & prayers....
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:00 am

Same here, I lurk more than I post and I do not go to Facebook much, I will try harder to post more in the future KENT, myself and my daughter are taking a road trip to north Carolina so my daughter can visit a very good friend, she just left her husband and it is getting messy, the two youngest are not talking to my daughter and are being influenced by there grandparents, so my daughter needs this trip for her sanity it is only 548 miles from here about 8 hour drive it is just over the Georgia border we are leaving tomorrow after Jodi gets off work and will be back on Friday will let you know how it went everyone have a great day and week stay warm
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:33 am

Eli is such a pretty boy. And BIG!

Rick, that is a beautiful quilt!  She did very well.  

Ark, here is a link to what I'm knitting.  I have both the sleeves done, and am about 5 inches up on the body which is knitted as one piece.  http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/pattern.php?id=4253&lang=en

This morning, it is +1 degree.  Clear and cold.  The clear part is very nice after several days of gloom.

Wednesday evening, I'm having my traditional After-Christmas Christmas party with the neighbors so I haven't taken down the tree.  That will start to happen Thursday.  Taking it down goes a lot faster than putting it up.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Sunny, have fun and safe trip, enjoy!

Ellen, have a great after xmas party!

Rick, beeeeeautifulllllll quilt.

Ark, ur right on cleaning stalls with someone is much nicer.

Trudy, sorry for the ouchy, I know u just love dentists and getting those bills! wow.

Well here we go back to old place, get more packed, spend the night, and load horses up in the morning....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Maureen's dishwasher quit working so she called in a repairman.  Since she had to go to work the next day, she told the repairman,
"I'll leave the key under the mat.  Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I'll mail you a cheque.
Oh, by the way don't worry about my dog Max. ....... He won't bother you."
"But, whatever you do, do NOT, under ANY circumstances, talk to my parrot!" 
"I MUST STRESS TO YOU: DO NOT TALK TO MY PARROT!!!"
When the repairman arrived at Maureen's house the following day, he discovered the biggest, meanest looking dog he has ever seen. But, just as she had said, the dog just lay there on the carpet watching the repairman go about his work.
 The parrot, however, drove him nuts the whole time with his incessant yelling, cursing and name calling.
 Finally the repairman couldn't contain himself any longer and yelled, "Shut up, you stupid, ugly bird!"
 To which the parrot replied,
 "Get him Max!"

See - Men just don't listen!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 pm

lol! ROFL hysterical
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 2:24 am

SNOOP here....I WILL NOT say where in FOOPVILLE I found found this....nope...NOT gonna say!!

January 2015 - Page 2 541609_837897639585429_4331163817691836239_n
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 10:38 am

Brrrrrrrrrr baby, tis cold outside! First time horses have been in the barn. we r waiting til this cold weather is over before moving the horses as they have more shelter here. oh what a pain in the arse to have. this brrrrrry cold right in the middle of the move....oh well.....

Graymare, good one! lol

Stay warm y'all!

Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 am

Rick, I want to post that sign in my office here at work.

CB I can relate to the cold. We're in single digits this morning and all the schools are on at least 2 hr delays if not closed outright because of the cold. So what did I do in this wonderful weather this morning? I'm out in the frigid cold making sure my fur babies have plenty of hay to munch on. I take pity on the pony next door and take her some hay over. And I trip on a tree branch hidden in the snow and fall down. Now if that wasn't bad enough I not only fell down, but my knee connected with a pile of frozen horse poop. Oh my goodness did that hurt. I'm carrying the flake of hay for the mini and the clippers I use to cut my hay bales open. Both go flying. The pony starts jumping around and pawing at his fence wanting to know what the heck I'm doing rolling around on the ground. She wants that hay! I finally get up and give her her hay. I have to go back into the house to get a flashlight to try and find my clippers. No luck. Hopefully I'll find them come spring. So much for being a good Samaritan.

I'm ready for spring.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Oh no indy that's cruel to hurt yourself on frozen road apples, cruel and unusual punishment for doing a good deed.
Yep, horses have a heated tank and the darn things will go to the pond and break ice t o

drink, all except the mule who must like the finer side of horsey life! doggies r in machine shed and have a heat lamp on the dog house, where do they sleep on the hay bales in the open...silly doxies....

We won't move anything today as the dish guy is coming and we r having a washer delivered. we went to house last night checked on critters and brought a load of clothes and dishes back to new place and spent the night here. this house is much warmer! tonight we go back to old place and sleep there in our sleeping bags. the goats r here and they have nice shelter with heated buckets. I am ready for this cold snap to be gone...don't mind it being cool just down to zero cold. ugh

Tuesday I have to take dodge in for rear end work, sounds like the brake is hanging but its the clutches in the rearend....ack! and our big chevy with camper on it needs new engine, just picked it up from garage yesterday and since it is older can't find a rebuilt one...so have some garages and salvage yards looking. it will be a 2 step operation as engine will be 2500 and 1300 to put in....double ouch!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Indy and CB, you put my morning in perspective. I was a little bent out of shape because my car has a dead battery and won't start. I put the charger on it, and I'll just have to wait a little while for it to charge enough to start. But, I can wait in the warm house. No pain involved. No cold. Just a little momentary inconvenience.
Indy, do you have a good strong magnet? That might help find the clippers, should you decide to go look for them again before spring.
Good luck to both of you.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Ill tell ya one thing ill be so happy to get horses here and if the truck makes it....ill be in serotonin land! all my happy lil endorphins will be goin wild! cyclops Laughing please y'all say a lil hum for my truck and then it will go tuesday to the fixit man! we r out of old place on 15th.......

Gotz my washer and I'm doin laundry...no more laundramats!

Just killin time now until dish guy comes....ho hum....too cold to do anything outside for sure....and hate to start tearing into things to unpack .....well...I could, just really need a down day. I know I have to start soon as my brother is having auction in feb or march and will be staying here.....and friend chris plans to come end of may...so I know I have to get my butt in gear....

That's my exciting day....woohoo, I sure know how to have a good time huh?! affraid lol! Wink
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 4:59 pm

CB, if there is one chore I hated more than almost any other, it was going to the laundomat. Having to haul the dirty clothes to the car, into the laundromat, in and out of the washers and dryers with all the coins, then back to the car, and finally into the house. It was an all afternoon project. When they moved my washer and dryer into this house a little over 6 years ago, I was one happy camper.

After waiting for about 30 minutes for the battery to wake up, the car started right up. So, I let it run for a while to warm up then headed for town and several errands - including groceries. Now, I'm home where it is nice and warm, the frig is full, and I have a new knitting needle. What more could I want?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 12:03 am

Poor INDYAPP..... hug I have to admit, though, your description made me laugh. The pony sure got a show with her breakfast! Laughing

I wasn't going to mention this, but since you brought up pony shows......a few days ago I was cleaning up the barn. Everything was slick and mucky from all the rain. I pushed a very full wheelbarrow thru the mud to the manure trailer where Trinket just happened to be grazing. She was right at the end of the board I use to roll the wheelbarrow up into the trailer. I decided to be nice to her and not make her move out of the way, so I didn't have a good running start to get the wheelbarrow up the board. I gave it a mighty push up the board, got about a third of the way up, slipped on the wet board, fell onto my knees, and landed head first into the wheelbarrow. I swear that pony was laughing. Rolling Eyes

It is beyond decently cold here tonight. I have my last two Cochin chickens in a cage in the bathroom tonight. I had a hen die today, she was frail and the cold did her in, poor thing. I expect to have the little rooster crowing in the bathroom in the morning. All the horses have blankets on, the ponies and donkey have longer hair and are in the barn. Thank goodness for heated water buckets! We are supposed to get down to 4 degrees with windgusts up to 25mph. I don't even want to think about the wind chill factor, it just plain hurts to be out in it.

CB
Stay warm!!!

ELLEN
I love that sweater pattern! Be sure to post a photo when you get it done. Did you use the same colors?

TRUDY
Sorry about your broken tooth! affraid And Ace' s mishap. Lucky you have such a nice dentist!

GRAYMARE
Gotta love a parrot! Laughing

SUNNY
safe trip!! You are not choosing the best weather to travel in, so take care!

RICK
Good sign! Laughing

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 12:46 am

I really do think some horses have a sense of humor. I had a QH a long time ago who did some really funny things, and he seemed to know it was funny.

As for +4, that almost sounds good to me. The high today was +9, and it now -2 going down to -9 tonight.

Yes, I'm using the same colors as the picture, although the brown that I had seems to be a bit darker than what is shown in the picture. It's a very traditional Nordic sweater/jacket. The sleeves are done, and I'm a little less than half way up the body. With the weather we're having right now, knitting or sewing is about all there is to do. This is supposed to continue for at least another week, with snow added now and then.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 12:57 am

Oh no ARK! Razz ROFL I'm sorry snort giggle I really am! where is a video when ya need one! you could have been rich! lol. sorry bout your he. my two seem to be doing alright...but I will be glad this frigid cold leaves. I'm with you on heated buckets, tank heaters, and heated dog bowls...worth everypenny of the power bill!

Just talked to jessi and she is doing fine on her tdy....she will be done feb. 1.

I will read for awhile and take a long winters nap....we can see the horses out munching grass by the pond in the moonlight...see their silhouettes....guess the cold doesn't bother them much or they would be in the barn munching hay!...when we came thru town at 6 pm it was 6 degrees already...brrrrrrr....

Stay safe and warm everyone....we will get thru....we all take good care of our critters...and I'm sure they appreciate us!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Beech? 36 BELOW? Are you okay?
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 pm

3.2 degrees here this morning and it went up to 9 degrees by 9:00 AM. BBRRRRRR lots of wind to make things even more unpleasant. Poor Ace can't even take his daily walks, his little paws start getting ice balls. We had to turn around since I refuse to carry a 93 pound dog back to the house. Thinking about getting him booties to wear on his paws. He is depressed about not going on our walks, me too...I'm ready for spring.

George was supposed to go on a men's group ATV ride on Saturday. HAHAHA It's going to 18 degrees, needless to say he is NOT going. Some of the "real" men are going to tough it out and go anyway. George is smarter than he looks, not going to freeze his butt off riding a ATV in 18 degree weather. Old guys have developed brains when it comes to freezing or sitting in warm house.

CB: I bet you will be so happy once you finally get settled into the new house. The washer sure will make your life easier. I remember going to the laundromat when we lived in Maine, what a nightmare that was.

ARK: Tee Hee I had to laugh at your wheel barrel incident. I swear my horses were laughing at me when I was doing my best Dorothy Hammel imitation on the ice, while I was carrying buckets of hot water to the barn for them to drink. Sorry to hear about your little hen.

RICK: loved that sign..don't mess with us horse people, we will kick your butt and laugh while we are doing it,

INDYAPP: No god deed goes unpunished does it? Hope you locate your clippers.

Stay warm everyone...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 1:26 am

Talk about horses with absolutely NO manners, its my idiot hosses. since my truck is having rearend problems, we rented a uhaul to haul the horse trailer today with intentions of doing two trips...well it was cold and brrrrry windy...hubby backed trailer to the gate to load. I opened the big back gate and I had to beat it out the esccape door as 3 horses came storming into the trailer....I'm like no only 2 will fit up here! then the mule...oh boy.....she came and put her head in to see what was going on and a gust of wind whipped that gate around and smacked her in the ass and she tried to crawl over top of the horses....but hubby gave her a handful of grain and she was alright...we shut the gate and off we went, no halters or ties...and muley turned around backwards and rode.....but all made it aok....I have never loaded horses that fast in my life! when we brought muley up from tx took us hours to load her. anyway we r frozen and tired....

Sweet dreams y,all
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 11:02 am

CB
Wow! That is amazing hysterical . And so you only had to make one trip? Good thing you have an escape door. affraid Now you know how to load the mule, just stampede your horses onto the trailer and whack her with a gate Laughing . The wind was with you! Do you have everything moved now? I bet the horses thought you were going back to Texas, out of that cold weather.

TRUDY
I would have liked watching your Dorothy Hamel act! Laughing I think we are past the worst of the weather now. It is going to be around 30 degrees today. The two smelly chickens in my bathtub are going back outside today wavy . The rooster crowed 42 times this morning. I am AWAKE!

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 11:36 am

CB, that should be an instructional video, "How to load horses in 10 seconds flat". ROFL

Ark, I think I would have covered the rooster with some kind of very dark blanket so he wouldn't know when it was daylight. hysterical

It's still really cold here, although +12 is better than -10. It snowed a little bit more last night
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm enjoying reading the winter stories.......that said, you all need to be careful.  All is well so we can laugh.

CB, sounds like escape door has a new meaning..........TRUDY, you & Ace be careful.  Also, tell George we all think he is wise for not going out 4 wheeling in 18 degree weather traveling along the ice at 15-20 mi an hr.  We're not kids anymore.  INDY, are  you doing better?  That mini is so thankful for you.  ARK, OMG, forgot about the rooster as I laughed way too hard over the manure barrel fiasco.

My fiasco is straightening out my computer after upgrading............this is half crazy.  I also added Skype Messenger but can't find the file to use it........affraid   affraid  affraid  Oh well, I guess I'll somehow figure it all out.  Actually, that's debatable.

Horses are fine and things are calm here.

God bless and everyone have a good day.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 7:54 pm

If this doesn't apply to you (NO husband), please share with your friends and neighbors where it does apply.

January 2015 - Page 2 1518020_463446593777733_180264239_n
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:25 am

I'm fine, Ellen!  Just an incorrigible lurker. A cold one!  Temp 8 below yesterday morning but a balmy 8 above this morning -- or was that yesterday?? Much warmer today, anyway -- all the way up to 20-plus after a light overnight snow.  Cuts right down on the scooter-riding... More later...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:41 am

Yeah, how come no one has made a life size horse thatgallops in place so we can keep our riding skills up thru the cold winter months....I would use one!

we have one shed to rake out, and front porch to sweep...and we r OUT of old place and into new...and I don't think I will move from my recliner for at least a week...and on top of moving we had to be in a deep freeze!

I think animals r faring better than we r....now comes fences, building shelters and doggie yards and working on some things on house....one day at a time.

Have a great weekend!.....Sunny r u back yet? how was the trip?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 10:50 am

CB, maybe one of the vet hospitals would let you use their treadmill for horses. Laughing
I'm sure it will be a big relief to finally be settled.

Beech, good to hear that you are doing okay. Your temperature ranges are pretty similar to mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2015
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next