Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2015

Go down 
+6
Indyapp
Rick Angell
Ellen E
cb
Graymare
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

January 2015 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Wow! That is a LOT high precision sewing! It is a gorgeous quilt.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 1:45 am

A sad posting on Facebook.

"To all friends and family: My mother, Carol, passed away this evening at 7:15 at St. Joseph's in Tucson, AZ. She went peacefully in her sleep with no pain. She had been "waiting for the angels to come and take her." It has been a rough week, with her having severe issues with her breathing. She is in a place with no pain now, walking with the angels, and breathing and laughing freely without having to be worried about being tied down to an oxygen tank anymore. She can fulfill her wishes of riding her horses again, as she has been dreaming of at night, all week long.

She will be sorely missed. She was a bright light in this life, always with some good advice or a funny quip to cheer you up.

A service will be set for this spring, as per her wishes. She wanted people to celebrate her life outdoors, enjoying the flowers and nature as she did.

I can be reached here on Facebook, my profile is here: Geoff Woolston."
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 am

Oh gosh.....I knew she had been very quiet lately. I will miss her and her posts greatly and glad I had the chance to meet such a caring and lovely horse luvin foop. what will happen to her horse? he is such a beautiful horse. I think I am shell shocked here...what will happen to midge? oh....if anyone has geoffs address I would like it...my address book is packed in a box somewhere.....my condolences to her family....it is so hard when we lose one of our own.....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 9:52 am

Geoff probably won't see this, but I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. She was a very nice person who was one tough lady who just kept on going through it all.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: t   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 11:53 am

Oh brother.  TERRIBLE news.  Ooooooooooh, it hurts.  I had tried to call her twice over the holidays and had left messages.  I assumed she was off playing cards or with her cousins, or maybe had gone to MN for Christmas.

I knew she was weak and rested a lot.  Last time we had lunch together I could tell she was weaker. She had a friend that was going to drive her up here in March or April as she wanted to come see Eli............

CB, she sold Ice before she came to live in Tucson.  Her boarding barn owner treated her very poorly. One day he came out when she was there and told her she had to leave as he didn't want her to die on his property. I think it was something like he "didn't want anything to happen to her there."  She said he was afraid she might die as she wore oxygen all the time.   I couldn't imagine that kind of cruelty.  At that time she couldn't manage him at home, so sold him, and permanently moved to Tucson. The climate was easier on her.  She bravely moved and made new friends playing cards regularly and going about town seeing some sights and meeting with her cousins & friends.  She told me not to say anything about Ice so I kept that between us.  She knew I was mortified that anyone could do/say that to her.  Just getting to go feed carrots, grooming/brushing, and riding very occasionally was her special peaceful place in life.
So, all teared up, I'm saying I know she is now in the big green pasture patting Kyd and waiting for Ice.

She was a class act and a very special woman.  God rest her beautiful soul.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Oh no, that makes me feel worse that happened and she didn't have ice to keep her going....I'd like a piece of that stable owner..grrrrrr.  ice was so beautiful, I hope he has a great home.  geoff said midge is with a friend....that's why she never answered questions about riding or ice.  I hope she didn't think we would think less of her becuz of her decision....I've had to downsize so I could care for my older ones....sometimes u have to do something u don't neccessarily want to do....I'm hoping she enjoyed az more than the cold and had a good time there.....and I'm happy she isn't struggling any more with her health....but am still very sad.....very sad.  thanks for letting us know GM,  YOU WERE A GOOD FRIEND.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:31 pm

CB, I don't think it was as much a secret per se, it was just very painful for her..........
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Ark, sunny needs some help, she got a new kindle and she has lost her info to get in here, could u send her email, please. ty

3 of my lil doxies got out and ran down the road so fast I had to run them down in the car....they can move for having short stubby legs. will be glad to get fencing up to keep that from happening...harry thinks by tomorrow their run will be done...I hope so. we r fencing the whole perimeter with small 2 by 4 box wire...can't wait until we can get it done.

Been unpacking a box here and a box there....ice weather today and for next 4 days...yay!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 11:35 pm

January 2015 - Page 4 UYzEiO Carol at 2004 Kansas City Foopfest

I was so sad to read about Carol this morning.  She has been on my mind all day.  I figured she must not be feeling well when she stopped posting much.  I am so sorry to hear how the barn manager treated her before she moved to AZ, such cruelty.    She made it longer than the five years her doctors said she would have, but not nearly long enough.

She was fun to be with at the KC Foopfest and I always thought highly of her......I will miss her.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 11:43 pm

CB:
I will email SUNNY immediately. I am glad to hear all your ducks are in a row now! What a relief to you that must be.

ELLEN:
I am looking forward to seeing your knitting! Is this for you or for someone else? Don't dare give it away before taking pix!

RICK:
Thanks for posting that. I would have seen it later on Facebook, but would rather have seen it here.
The quilt is beautiful! Lucky lady who gets it!

SUNNY:
Hang on, I am getting you a new password....

GRAYMARE:
I am sorry CAROL had to sell Ice, I know she loved him and I am sure he kept her going longer than she would have otherwise. I do think it is wonderful she was dreaming of her horses this past week and is probably with them now.

Tomorrow I am going riding with Ed and his daughter, Amelia. Ed doesn't scare me much, he is middle aged and just getting started riding endurance. Amelia, though, is a 50 mile endurance riding teenager who probably doesn't know the word "slow". Now she concerns me! Hopefully it will all work out. We are going to Carvin's Cove near Roanoke instead of the New River Trail. Carvin's Cove has a good reputation for horse trails, but is very hilly. I will be pushing my comfort zone a little with the muddy conditions....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 1:19 am

Ark, this one is for me. It is lying on the bedroom floor, now dry. I'm just finishing up taking down the Christmas tree, so I hope to get to sew it together tomorrow, and finish it. (At the moment, it looks like a plastic pine forest threw up in my living room with tree bits all over the place.) Some of my cousins gave me money for my birthday, so I used that to buy the yarn. Most of what I knit is acrylic, but this is real wool.

I've thought about the several times I saw Carol in person, and the trip I made to her house in Minnesota. Even that first time we met her, she was having a lot of trouble breathing, but she never let it stop her.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 12:55 pm

I've kinda / sorta wondered about this...??

January 2015 - Page 4 A179576
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 am

RICK:
I guess that is the 'penny saved' as in "a penny saved is a penny earned"..... Very Happy

We went to Carvins Cove near Roanoke today and did a 10 mile walk/trot. The
trails were quite muddy with occasional ice on them, but overall, not
too bad. Ivan did wonderful! I really think he likes his S-hook
hackamore, he did really great.

Ivan and I rode with Ed and Amelia and their Arabian horses, Magic
and Zak, who were fun to ride with and very nice about not going too fast in slick conditions.
Magic is 23 years old and Zak is 13, both are taller than Ivan. Ivan
got along great with them and we were good at matching speeds
with them.

Anyway, we were out about 3 hours, which wasn't good as far as speed
went, but was good for training. Ivan was the horse I've always
wanted today, I can't get over how nice he was the entire day. The
last 2/3rds of the ride we did on a loose rein. He didn't pull or try
to race or act out in any way. It was a fabulous ride!

January 2015 - Page 4 IkDPsO January 2015 - Page 4 PRJ4Dv

January 2015 - Page 4 MPV2hG January 2015 - Page 4 YMuVMT
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 2:58 am

Aw, that is such sad news... I knew Carol only through her posts here but sensed both her kindness and spunk, and felt a special empathy because of the breathing problems. Graymare, that was an excellent tribute, and ARK, a wonderful photo. Doubly sad because of her having to part with Ice. It would be comforting to hear that he is well situated now.

ELLEN and RICK"S CAROL: I am in awe of your knitting and sewing skills.

CB  When you're settled, how about some pics of the new place?

ARK I love the pics -- and congratulations on the good ride!  And, oh, am I drooling at those images of bare ground!  We have about six inches or so of wall-to-wall snow, with a tough crust just under the surface. It's not kind, but I can't help laughing when I see my two small dogs, dancing along at a trot away out in the back forty, suddenly fall through and sink in up to their armpits. Then I watch them stand stock still and try to decide the best way back to the house and their warm couch inside by the fire. Ooooh, I can see the wheels turning: Maybe I shouldn't have come this far? Now, should I keep going or try to retrace my steps??...And when they finally make it back to their beaten path, I swear I can see toothy smiles... Temp tonight, last time I looked, was 9 above. But all -- except for being sad -- is well.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Darn SMIRKY / SNARKY cow...!!

January 2015 - Page 4 1383054_10151972571465396_2096492305_n
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 9:08 pm

RICK:  LOL  LOL  LOL

Great pics ARK......glad you had a good time............

Here's a funny:

Quote :
DISTRESS AT 18,000 FEET
Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
An air traffic control tower suddenly lost communications with a small twin engine aircraft.  A moment later the tower landline rang and was answered by one of the employees.

The passenger riding with the pilot who lost communications was on a cellular phone and yelled "Mayday, mayday!! The pilot had an instant and fatal heart attack.  I grabbed his cell phone out of his pocket and he had told me before we took off he had the tower on his speed dial memory.  I am flying upside down at 18,000 feet and travelling at 180 mph. Mayday, mayday!!"

The employee in the tower had put him on speaker phone immediately.
"Calm down, we acknowledge you and we will guide you down after a few questions.
"The first thing is not to panic, remain calm!"

He began his series of questions.

Tower:  "How do you know you are travelling at 18,000 feet?"

Aircraft:  "I can see that it reads 18,000 feet on the dials in front of me."

Tower:  "Okay, that is good, remain calm.  How do you know you are travelling at 180 mph?"

Aircraft:  "I can see that it reads 180 mph on the dials in front of me."

Tower:  "Okay, that is good.   How do you know you're flying upside down?"

Aircraft:  "Because the shit in my pants is sliding out of my collar."

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 11:48 pm

Beech, don't be too sad...I know it set me back on my heels when I heard, but she is no longer struggling to breathe...but I will sorely miss seeing and reading her posts....

I would send pics if I had ever been smart enuf to do it...I can send anyone pics from my phone to yours if u want....hubby was spose to be working on fence today but he was having a meeting of the great minds with 2 of the neighbor guys lol. I wondered where he was, kept looking out....I was unpacking. boxes....a job I wonder if I will ever get done! weather has been nice and warm....can't complain....gives animals all a break from the cold we had to get our moving done...brrrrr...

Jessi is still tdy and in her 7th month and still running everyday with her troops. she hardly shows but doc says she and baby r fine.

well, sweet dreams y'all....and rick that was a funny...but I wonder if he ever got plane down...I hate to be left hangin! lol

Ark, that's great on the ride..glad you enjoyed it!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 am

Ark, you have just kept going and going and going, and it's paying off with some good rides now.

Graymare, that was a good one. Laughing I immediately forwarded that to a friend who used to be a pilot.

Beech, I've been wondering how you're surviving the cold and snow. Glad to know you and your puppies are doing just fine.

It would have been interesting to see how they got that horse out of the fence. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 am

Oops. sometimes I can't read the width of a post, that's what I get for assuming, huh?..it was funny no matter which foopy foop posted it! sorrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Having our tea and trying to jump start my energy level that stayedin bed!

Weather tis good....back to unpacking and fences....have a great start to new week y`all
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 12:56 pm

A challenging goal for all you CAT lovers!!

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Hey, ELLEN, there's a job for you!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 1:33 pm

That woman must spend everyday all day working with that cat! I know cats CAN be trained, but it must take forever to get one to the level of the one in the video.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 3:34 pm

I really needed to come here and see all the great posts this morning. ARK, love the pics of your trail ride.

RICK - not gonna happen in my cat's life time.

Here's why I REALLY needed these posts.

Back history. Thunder is actually Bill’s horse but that doesn’t make any difference. She is about 25 years old. For the past year or so I have been treating Thunder for a bad back leg. I don’t know her history before we got her 5 years ago but it was obvious she had had a hard life. This morning she fell on the ice and landed on her bad leg and could not get up. The vet came out and we were able to turn her on to the other side hoping she would be able to use the good leg to get up. She still could not. Bill and I made the decision to have her humanely put to sleep. Hopefully by the time I get home tonight the rendering company will have come and taken her away as with the ground being frozen like it is I cannot bury her on the property.

REALLY bad start to my day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Awww, Indy. What a terrible way to start the day. I'm so sorry, but of course, you know you did the right thing. I hope you can feel our cyber hugs wrapping around you.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Indy, its alway sad and hard on us to make a tough decision, but we r the ones that have to do it for them. we can and do get thru it knowing we gave them a healthy loving life while in our care. they gave us much enjoyment while part of our lives. I've lost 3 horses and know its not easy....so a great big hug for you and anyone else who needs one.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 4:34 pm

INDYAPP
I am so sorry about Thunder. Not much about animal care is harder than that......(((((((((Indy))))))))).... It is good you found her so she didn't have to suffer too long. hug

SUNNY
Put a space between the two parts of your username. Should work, I was able to log on as you with that and the password I sent you. Email me if you still have problems, we will get it worked out!

RICK
I can't see the video on my Kindle, but I am guessing it is the one of the cat doing agility obstacles like a dog. I love that! I want to know what treats that woman uses! Really great cat! Very Happy

Ivan and I have a date this coming Saturday to ride with Ed and Amelia again. I guess I didn't slow them down too bad after all Laughing We are going to do the New River Trail this time where the footing is good and the trail is flat. I will have no excuses not to canter with them this time....gulp.....I do think Ivan travels well with them, so we should be okay to go faster. I hope the weather is like today, sunny and in the 50s!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2015
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next