Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

March 2015

Go down 
+6
Rick Angell
Beech
Ellen E
Graymare
cb
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 11:58 pm

March 2015 !!  

March 2015 UmkLvQ

Pretending to be at the beach feeding the seagulls......Well I was feeding seagulls today.  At the parking lot at Kroger's.  Why the seagulls winter over here, 300 miles from the ocean, is beyond me.  But I love hearing them and today happened to have some bread in the car, so fed the seagulls and imagined I was at a beach. sunny

March came in like a lamb today.  Snow is doing its best to melt, the mud is rising swiftly, and spring is only three weeks away.  Donnie and I spent considerable time cleaning up the barn lot that the snow has made difficult to keep clean for weeks.  The horses had their blankets off, finally.  They went bucking and running thru the snow in the pasture and I hoped they wouldn't slip in the snow.  They were fine.  The pathways Donnie made are now deep mud, as is the area around the barn.  

We watched Areion play with the chain on the gate until she unlatched it.  Now we know who is letting those ponies out.  She is a talented horse. Rolling Eyes

Welcome to March! It has GOT to be better than February..... ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 12:06 am

I surely hope march is better and spring gets sprung! woohoo to that!

Everyone check in specially those we don't hear from nearly often enuf and I miss their posts.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 1:05 am

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 2:29 pm

It's raining a little bit today, but one does not have to shovel rain. Laughing We'll sew today, rather than playing outside.
At my house, it's snowed and is still really cold.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Good rain here today until about 4P.............then sunny and sun is still up. The SW so needs rain. I sent the boys out for about 2 hrs so they look frightful. LOL Faith only got out for about 45 min......she looks good. Pasture is showing weeds growing as I stare at it. Oh well, things will dry out and I'll get at it.

Our northern portion of the state got lots of snow today. It's gorgeous from far away..........they're showing pictures from all over on the news.

Shoer/trimmer tomorrow......feet will be soft and easy to trim.

I'm preparing for a party on Saturday, our spring fling, chicken and
many trimmings as it's potluck.............I'm doing the chicken and potato salad.....we have so much food coming the party might last 2 days. Nah, we're all too old...............Famous last words. If we wind up with a gang, so much the better.

Everybody have a good evening.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 pm

It did not rain here today, or snow, or sleet. In fact, it was sunny and 45° !!
Our snow is melting as fast as it can, although dealing with the resulting mud hasn't been very fun. Hopefully the rest of the snow will disappear and my arena will get back to normal. Soon. I would like to ride Ivan and see how the hip issue is doing. There is an endurance ride in April that I haven't signed up for yet because I don't know if my hip will be good enough...and we sure haven't had any riding practice lately. Ivan and I are not in shape.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 12:40 am

That's a good one, Graymare! Fun to watch.

It's has rained here parts of the last two days, but it was still nice to sit outside for a while and watch the doves come in to eat the seeds that were tossed out for them. We got some sewing done today, and with another couple of less than ideal days to come, we'll get some more done tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for that video, Graymare!  FANTASTIC performance!  ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands

I'm going to be thinking of it as I rev up the snowblower again this morning... shrug
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 11:03 am

To the tune of that old fabulous song. "Wipeout" but change the word to "whiteout" and thatis how fast and furious the snow is coming down! can't see very far at all and my cabin fever will extend another day or so...it was so warm. last day and half that our 5 inches was gone.....but not now as the ground is totally white and it just started...coming down pretty good!

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 pm

GRAYMARE:
 That was a very cute video!  That lady's face was so funny!
 Have fun with your party on Saturday..... Cool

CB:
 Your weather is coming in our direction.  Today is nearly 60 degrees, tomorrow night it will be 8 degrees with snow.  tongue No tongue  

ELLEN:
  I hope your weather improves, you are on vacation!

Here is a funny commercial for Air New Zealand that stars lots of hobbits, dwarves, elves, and a wizard.  Makes me want to go there!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qOw44VFNk8Y?feature=player_embedded%22frameborder=%220%22allowfullscreen%3e%3c/iframe
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 10:40 pm

ARK, how neat.

Here's another too funny to pass up:

A friend of mine was sitting on a lawn, sunning
and reading, when he was startled by a fairly
late model car crashing through a hedge and
coming to rest on his lawn.
He helped the elderly driver out and sat her on
a lawn chair.
“My goodness” he exclaimed, “you are quite old
to be driving!”
“Yes” she replied, ” I am old enough that I don't
need a licence.”
“The last time I went to my doctor, he examined
me and asked if I had a driver's licence.”
I told him "yes" and handed it to him.
He took scissors out of a drawer, cut the license
into pieces and threw them in the wastebasket.”
“You won’t be needing this anymore,” he said.
So I thanked him and left.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 1:45 am

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 11:40 am

After one day of seeing the ground, the world is white again here....and covered in ice.

I went to a new dentist yesterday morning in Blacksburg before the sleet and snow began. By the time my appointment was finished, the sleet had begun and the roads were already slick. I slid out onto the road, crept to the Hardees to meet Donnie for a quick lunch, and watched it turn to heavy sleet and snow. We decided to park the Saturn at Donnie's workplace and have him drive me home with the truck. It has 4WD, the Saturn has front wheel drive. I slid all over the road getting to Moog and nearly hit a car turning into the parking lot. I was very relieved to park it! Then I had to wait in the truck for nearly an hour before Donnie could leave, he had a meeting. We slowly made our way home and saw lots of cars that had slid off the road. Mine would have been one of them. We finally got home in another hour. It was harrowing. We ended up with 3 or 4 inches of sleet on the ground and ice covering everything.

The good dental news is that the filling I lost was only a piece chipped off and not critical. That was the reason I went in. The bad dental news is: the tooth under my bridge has totally failed and has to come out. $$$... The dentist said I didn't feel it because it had had a root canal and had no feeling. He says I should have an implant to replace the dead tooth and bridge. I saw the x-rays, and sure enough, the tooth has broken off at the top. The tooth has had a bridge on it for 40 years. I guess it had enough. I have an appointment in April to get things started for the implant with a dental surgeon in Blacksburg. It will take 4 or 5 months to heal. It will not be fun. Or cheap. Our insurance says it will cover 40%.

I guess I had better get outside and feed the hungry herd. It has not been easy taking care of them and the barn this winter. Hopefully after today things will clear up. I still have 2 chickens in my bathtub. The rooster is sleeping in more and doesn't start crowing until after 7 a.m. now. It will be a shock to them to be back out in their house soon! They think they are house birds now.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Ark, my neighbor is going to have implants for his dentures - $12,000 worth. Whew! That's a LOT! Another neighbor had hers done and is very happy with it, and she looks great.

The Texas sunshine is wonderful! Weather at home is a lot less appealing.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Ellen, we r about to reap some of that sunshine...5 days straight...yesssssssss

Ark, we had that, sleet and snow..then sun...all melts,...then sleet and snow....sun...all melts...cold temps too....but the ground is bare again, just in time for the goats to think it may be time to start droppin those kids! I'm glad you got home safely. our morning ritual starts with a cuppa and the weather channel. those poor folks In kentucky that were stranded in their cars..wow...why didn't they get off sooner..spending the night in wal mart parking lot where there is food, heat, and bathroom at least...and usually gas so u can run your heater...but off the highways. we. got stuck in n. dakota and iowa once but were put off at an exit and in ia it was a rest stop. hubby driving truck got stuck in wy once right on the interstate, just shut down...exits r few and far between out there. he had enuf food and heat, and an emergency bucket! he was fine...
We spent night in a windstorm in wy at a rest stop and had to literally crawl to the restroom...great entertainment and I watched the wind bowl over grown men and watched them crawl....took 2 people to open a car door....it had been a long time since my teen years...ahem....that I decided to pee in a paper cup in my car! the wind rocked my kia and we fell asleep and slept 7 hours....sleept like a baby being rocked in a cradle....

Well going to town...later y'all

Beech how's the snow blower workin?

Rick, what's snoop up to?

Ol man where r u?????
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Ark, glad your home and safe, your car can come home another day.
Well, grab the chair arms, hang on and get then dental work over with, I guess. Can you have anesthesia so you're long gone on a trail ride in your head?

Like you CB, if any weather starts up that could get serious when I'm driving, I just pull off first chance I get. A delay, even a longer than expected, is no biggie. Sure beats a wreck or even worse, injury &
hospitalization.

Everyone stay warm and safe.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 12:13 am

We are sewing and enjoying some great weather. I'm probably going to stay a little longer than I originally planned.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 12:35 am

Yep after both of us wrecking In wyoming moving from mo to ID I am a first class wuss! I get the heck off the road, and I stock up before storm comes so we don't have to go out and deal with roads and nutcases driving that think they can go anywhere as fast as they want....uh huh....and we r retired....stay home check on all the four legged kids and stay warm and thank goodness for books to read and tv!1 lol
It was 53 today....yesssssssssss! we always carry snacks, blankets, and bottled water in the trunk and a small bucket with tp....and there r extra coats in the bag with the blankets and we put a clean outfit in there for each of us also. I carry it in summer too.
I always have a 3 day supply of medicines also. I have been stuck in some pretty unforgiving places, and being prepared sure helps with the stress overload. when traveling with horses if we don't have another vehicle with us, we carry lots of water and hay. one time traveling in september we hit an early blizzard and man I was glad we had extra blankets for the horses, as we hung one on each side of horse trailer and had two on each horse...it was cold, but we took turns checking on them. man the wind was blowing and it was cold...we had a truck camper and we about had frostbite...we kept oven on and windows cracked...it didn't have a heater....I didn't sleep much that night!
Ellen when u r having fun and enjoying yourself, stay and have fun. the joys of retirement.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 11:29 am

Rick, I saw a post from you about snoop and now its gone....what's up with that? gremlins strike again? I know I post and it never gets here and I have to write it again...I think ol man said that, too. speaking of him, I have been asking about him, and no reply and I'm getting worried...so if you are out there respond so this mother hen can stop worrying, k?

Good sunny morning to y'all. hubby is checking on goats and then we r going to huge flea market...then coming home this afternoon and checking again...if things r looking good, we will go to indoor auction tonight for few hours, then home for night check and bed ck...they r getting close. I bought oxytocin yesterday. met the vets I will be using and they have a store where u can buy stuff for cows and horses and goats...in the medicine store without seeing vet. its great! things that I had to buy from my vet in idaho I can now walk in and just buy off the shelves...much cheaper prices too.

Have a nice weekend!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 2:21 pm

So far this sounds like the best move you have made, sounds like everything is going smoothly, except your hunters getting out and driving you nuts, here the weather has been crazy, right now it is windy and in the upper 60's last night it was in the upper 40's and in a couple of days it will be back in the high 80's then it will cool down again, this is too soon for this, a month early,
So far my daughter is doing great, she had to establish residency to get her driver's license, and she has several prospects for a job, she is in seventh heaven, this summer if it gets hot there is a lake just across the road from where they live, you can see it from there porch, she is looking forward to seeing the area when spring has sprung, she is happy and that is what counts
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 3:26 pm

SUNNY
I am glad to hear your daughter is happy with her move! wavy Do you think you will be following her this summer?

CB
You must have been a Boy Scout in your last life! Laughing You are the most prepared person for bad weather I have heard of! Have fun at the auctions.

GRAYMARE
I generally don't drive in bad weather, but took the chance it might start late so I could get in at the dentist. Someone smarter than me had cancelled their appointment. It did start a little late, but came on strong when it got here. My car is still parked at Donnie's workplace, although we could get it today. We will pick it up tomorrow and go grocery shopping at that nice Kroger's in Blacksburg.

It is very pretty today and 49° !! cheers The icy snow is melting fast. Donnie and I got the barn clean while the mud was still frozen. The chickens in my bathtub will be moving back to the dome this afternoon. :dance:

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Ark, I'm prepared for most things except breakdowns that cost lotso money and no warranty on the older vehicles we run...that's what catches us traveling on a budget....boooooo.
We r running around in tshirts, jeans and threw the winter boots in the closet for my sneakers and next week it may be flippie flops!
There r sooooooooo many flea markets in this area, oh my! auctions and fleas and horse and livestock auctions and fishing and some hiking and riding thrown in.....yippee skippee!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Done for. Party over. Gang off to the rodeo and some off to Mass, some plumb home before dark. Picnic/party started at 11 A...............WAY
WAY too much food.................at our age we REALLY know how to potluck.

Ha, like that mattered................... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes What else is new?

Glad things are looking up as far as weather goes for those in the
winter belt.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 11:47 pm

The chickens have left the building!!! wavy Now soaking the bathtub in bleach will commence.....

CB
Sounds like you will be having fun this year!! Good! You deserve some fun times. :dance:

GRAYMARE
I bet your party was a blast! I do love potlucks... Drool

Most of our ice and snow is gone. It was the prettiest day we have had in weeks and looks like we may get several more. Donnie trimmed Ivan's front feet this evening and will do the back ones tomorrow. The makers of Easy Boots has a sale on this weekend and I need to get Ivan's hooves measured in millimeters to order him a set of Easy Boot Gloves for trail riding. Ivan was so good about standing for his hoof trims. I remember when I had to bribe him with treats to keep him still. Now he is an old pro at it. Trinket was helpful while we worked on Ivan. She kept coming up and searching me for treats, which I knew I didn't have on me. Turns out she had zeroed in on my mint flavored Chapstick. That pony could be a bloodhound in disguise. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2015   March 2015 Empty

Back to top Go down

March 2015
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next