Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2015

Go down 
+5
Ellen E
Indyapp
cb
Rose
Ark
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

October 2015 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 pm

This isn't a great pic but just fun doing barn chores............

October 2015 - Page 6 411753461
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Rex loves being right w me and the horses and lies down right next to the hay with the horses munching........the horses aren't phased by him..........Rex loves the few kernels of grain they drop.......I need to get a pic when they munch on the same pile.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Whew! It's cold out there today, 46 and windy. I went out to mark the joist locations. Took about 10 minutes, but my hands were COLD. Maybe tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Ark or anyone...help...I'm not getting the mail in my box to notify me that someone has posted. I went to verizon they say nothing they can do to help....any ideas, please. it worked fine until a sweek ago, but now I have to scroll down to an old message but when they r gvone into cyberspace I won't be able to get on at allll unless I have new messge email coming in.
Lordie, one thing or another. what co9mpany does everyone have for cell service? contract is up on one of our phones, but not the other.....has anyone done straight talk from walmart?

Thanks y'all
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 6:02 pm

CB, I am posting this from my phone and it seems to be working well. I'm with Verizon and have been for YEARS.
Tell your phone to remember the password and to log in automatically. I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 6:31 pm

CB
The only thing I can suggest that ELLEN didn't already say is to make sure that the box is checked below your post that says "Notify me when a reply is posted." Be sure the check is there BEFORE you post.
I don't get this forum on a phone, so can't help you with the phone settings.

GRAYMARE
Wow, Rex is a rainbow colored dog, so pretty! He is very photogenic!

ELLEN
It is chilly here today, too. I miss summer already. The sky is bright blue, and the wind is not so nice. We loaded up an entire truck bed of Johnsongrass that I had pulled out of the hay bales over the past month and hauled it to the landfill today. It was 140 pounds of the noxious stuff, pulled strand at a time from the hay. I am so tired of Johnsongrass! I have about a dozen more bales from the infested field to deal with. tongue We spend an incredible amount of time dealing with its eradication...

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 9:26 pm

That box is checked.....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 pm

CB, I don't read the board on my phone but I would suggest making sure
the box "notify me of new posts" is checked right here on the board. Internet is internet so when you're online on your phone it should be fine

I have 2 friends that have the straight talk plan phones and love just paying as you go and for the features you want, not what you never use. They travel quite a bit and don't have probs that I know of. I think it's $35-40/mo, not sure. I know they can pay as they go, have their same tele # etc........they can adjust their amount of bill at any time as it's not a contract and sev phones to choose from. That's what little I know.

ARK, I'm no Johnson grass expert but it took us about 3 yrs to get rid of a big patch that was here when we bought the house a million yrs ago. Gosh, in a hay field I can't even imagine.

ELLEN, sorry your weather was bad today..........hmmmmmm. Maybe some lightweight gloves? Well, and warmer weather!
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Weirdness! Or Fate. or just Strange!   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 10:06 pm

ELLEN, did you get your donation back in Paypal? CB, I am totally dumbstruck by electronics so cannot offer any help! Robin and I and Noah all got to ride Essie today, pics to come. She is in season, so a little stubborn came out, as not wanting to move forward, but once she was convinced we were going to ride she was fine. My darn right knee just went out completely while I was mounting, need a lot more stretching exercises it seems. Thank heaven Robin and Johnny were able to catch me, no fall. Found it's much, much easier to mount from the off side. Alright, don't criticize me please, it worked and Essie could care less! Until my right knee is better it's the way it has to be. Rolling Eyes And now to the "strange" or "weird" stuff. Ya'll know that Robin lost out on the Haffie, and her heart is set on a Haffie. Well since she still had my donation left she donated to fundraising for 2 horses on the site. Praise the Lord, they were both saved! One lady contacted Robin to thank her, sincerely! This lady had fundraised for an 8 yo 14.2hh Haffie last month. The mare appears to be greenbroke, accepts rider but will only move a couple steps, then stops. No bucking, rearing, biting or kicking, but obviously needs a refresher course. She is sending Robin a video tomorrow! Are you ready for this? $200 plus shipping and seeing if we can get 30 days on her? Lady just wants her to go to a great home and if she can recupe her $200 donations she'd be delighted. I've seen the pics! What do ya'll think? cheers
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Nuthin seems to work...grrrrr

Rose, we teach our horses to mount from both sides...at this stage in the game of riding and enjoying it, no one should care...unless u were showing and had to mount...so go for it.
I would watch an 8 yr old who won't go forward.....good price, but we got a paint mare off of moonlight kathy and she got her at auction and didn't knw a lot about her, but she would lock up and not move....we had her vet checked, chiro chked...couldn't find anything but she just wouldn't move, we pulled and we pushed...nuthin! we sold her for a brood mare only.

Good luck!

Well.....I'm thinking new phone may be order....sigh....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Rose, yes, I got the refund to my Paypal account. Thank you.
As for mounting on the off side, none of my horses ever knew there was an 'off' side. I taught them from the start they could be mounted from either side. My TB mare was tall and I was short, so she learned very early that she had to stand quietly next to a mounting block, or a wall, or fence, or picnic table, or whatever was handy. Just get on however works for you.
Just have a wonderful time with her.
Maybe the 'new' Haffie needs a home worse than the first one did. This might be the right one. Some good ground work would probably help her a lot.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 11:53 pm

CB, how old is your phone? I don't know much about them, but it might be outdated far enough to not function well. I have a Samsung Galaxy s5, that is a model year old. With a new two year contract, you might get it for next to nothing. The s6 came out last April so Best Buy and other places might be trying to get rid of the s5 they have in stock.
Back in the summer they "updated" that cut the battery life to 10 hours and I was NOT a happy camper. I think there were a few million other people who were mad as heck about it. About a month ago, they sent another update that fixed it. Since it doesn't get used very much when I'm here at home, the battery will last most of three days between charges. I'm back to being a very happy camper.
I not sure, but I don't think the problem you are having with this website has anything to do with Verizon. I've always had good connections and good service from them everywhere I go.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Trainer Maybe   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 11:56 pm

CB, I am checking with a very competent trainer about what he thinks about the haffie. If he says no, that will be it. Just have to see. ELLEN, that's my thoughts. Mysterious ways!
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Smart Phone for Dummies!   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:05 am

I had an absolutely horrible relationship with my second IPhone, and at that point Verizon too, since I still had a year before I could upgrade. I pitched an awful fit at my local Verizon store, even suggesting where they could put the Iphone. They "allowed" me to upgrade to a Samsung Core Prime, with trade in and $136, I have never been happier with my phone, and Verizon is back on my good side, additionally my bill went down $12 monthly!!!! Happy, happy camper! Something to think about CB!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 am

ROSE
I mount Ivan from both sides. If I climb a fence, he will turn to the off side for me to mount. If I get on a mounting block, he seems to prefer the traditional side for me to get on, but will go either way.
I went to an ACTHA ride once where an obstacle was to mount on the "wrong" side. No problem! Some folks had a hard time with that one.
Congrats on your ride!! wavy I hope the new haflinger mare works out.

GRAYMARE
Getting rid of that johnsongrass has been a nightmare in our 5 acre lower hayfield. So far it is winning. There is so much of it in so many fields in this county. Most folks seem to just live with it and bale it for cattle. It is somewhat toxic, and finding hay for horses without it is getting more difficult. Donnie has made a poison wick attachment for the tractor to hit the tops of the johnsongrass when it grows taller than the other grasses. It has helped, but not very well. The roots are hard to kill and one grown plant has hundreds of seeds to spread. I don't like him using poison, but there isn't much else you can do. The seeds were brought in on others' hay equipment used to mow our fields a few years ago.

We just watched a crazy movie called "Killer Klowns from Outer Space". It was so bad it was actually funny. hysterical

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 9:09 am

Ellen, my phone contract isn't up yet until march, its 1 and 7 months old but the guy in verizon store told me my phone is obsolete....now hubbys phone is 4 years old and it works better than this! but no internet. I have had spotty service with verizon on cell phones dropping calls, over and over...for the last 15 years .....I'm done with them. when therin was here he had great service, didn't drop any calls and he had stra8ght talk. I almost threw my phone at some rude guy at verizon yesterday, my phone was too old and he couldn't help me. wow....I'm stuck in contract on a phone that is obsolete....I was fuming! I think cell phones r a good thing, I just think they are made so poorly they don't work right or very long, they have ya between a rock and hard spot. you have to upgrade and pay more money to do so if u want a phone.....

Ok...I'm done with my morning rant....if I disappear you all know why....I've kilt some verizon employee.....errrrrr......my phone died! but it won't be a peaceful passing....I'm gonna straggle it!

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:00 am

CB, my friends w Verizon have probs in the west as their big expansions are in the east......but Verizon is growing out here. It sounds like it's your phone.
In AZ AT&T has the best service in rural areas. Walmart is contracted with their towers. I don't know the "cell tower" game & restrictions but it controls service reliability. Cell service is sketchy everywhere in the very rural areas. Walmart does have sev services to offer so you can compare there. Also, they have many many phones to choose from. If you go to Verizon itself they should just let you choose a new phone and extend your contract 2 yrs with no nonsense. BUT, you are then stuck for 2 years. I think all contract services have you stuck for 2 years which is why so many have opted for services like Straight Talk offers. Check to make sure it gets internet. At least go check. LOL, just me with no tech knowledge of the cell phone game. Let us all hear.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Phones!   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:07 am

Oh CB, I understand. You will find an answer I'm sure!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Oh boy TRUDY, today is the day. Our guys and Bruce Arians are out for blood.
Sitting here with two Pittsburg fans, and two of us Cards. I don't have any prob w Pittsburg as hubby went to school there. I'm against Michael Vick....can't believe he got resigned. That said, that's football. I am all about B Arians as he is a great coach. So, on with the game............LOL, and good food. Some huge pecan rolls here with lots of pecans that I poured a ton of caramel sauce on. I might go into a sugar coma and miss the game................
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Looks like Trudy wins today. I didn't see that game since it wasn't being shown here. The Bears came close over the Lions, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
The Colts play the night game, so we'll see what they can do in a couple of hours.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 2:43 am

They out played us ELLEN. That's football. I'm not such a fan that it's not just a game............a rich game, but none the less, a game.

ROSE, let us hear if Robin gets the other Haffie.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 2:46 am

I just lost a post.......I went to the airport to pick up a friend......plane from Denver over an hr late...........drove in horrible rain. Tired. LOL, this version is short compared to the other that I had written.............Later gators.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 7:25 am

GRAYMARE: I've been on a Steeler protest since they hired that dog killer Michael Vick, so I haven't been watching them since Ben got hurt, I did turn them on at the very end of the game once they put Landry Jones and watched them win the game. That kid is going to be a good QB. Ariens really isn't loved in Pittsburgh, we were happy to see him go.

CB: I have Verizon and really haven't had any big problems with them at all. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, it's probably outdated already but who cares. I love this phone, Kevin says it's a phone for old people. LOL

ROSE: All my horses mounted from either side and when I got older I used mounting block so I didn't twist my bad knee. We were a at horse show once time and it was a crazy class called Simon Says and you had to do what ever the judge said within 2 steps. There was a girl who rode sidesaddle and the judge called for a mount from the off side, he was trying to knock her out of the class, but she fooled everyone, she moved her stirrup to the off side and mounted and won the class cause the other horse wouldn't stand to be mounted on the off side. The crowd went wild.

Anthony is still in the hospital and acting like a spoiled brat teenager. I've been sick so I haven't been there since last Monday. I didn't want to make him sick but is friends took care of that, they took the stomach flu into his room and shared it with him. Glad I didn't go and catch that stuff on top of this head cold.

Off to the VA clinic with George today so I'm off and running early this morning.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Mounting from the Off side   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks so much everyone. Essie's willingness to be mounted from the off side, with a mounting block, sure makes my life much, much easier. I am going to change the saddle and pad I used for her. Being short coupled, the square skirted saddle and big thick pad appear to be uncomfortable on her. Robin has a hybrid type aussie saddle that if it fits me (I need a seat size 16in) I am going to try on her and find a nice fleece type pad for her. Essie has developed a profound taste for apple slices. Robin put her wormer in the other day, thought the mare would dislike her afterwards and not take any apple slices from her. Essie said "all is forgiven" and happily took slices from Robin. Can ya'll tell I love this mare! <3
hug
I too, have been boycotting the Steelers since they accepted MV. He should not be allowed to play professional FB in my opinion. But to each their own, I just choose not to watch.
Robin is giving serious thought to the newest Haffie. Whether she will try to get her or not remains to be seen shrug But she has made up her mind to definitely make her next horse a Haffie!
Anyone ever practiced Yoga? Looking for a simple Yoga stretching CD, have no experience with Yoga, but rehab therapist thinks some Yoga would help my right knee/leg/hip!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 11:45 am

ROSE go to used book store and get "Yoga For Beginners". Prob $1.00, but they will have sev books. Also, book stores like Barnes & Noble have those plastic instruction sheets like they have for calculus, Spanish, chemistry etc. They have them for Yoga & Tai Chi...........or used to.

I do both yoga & tai chi..........not well, just to my ability level. Do it daily. I almost do. (LOL) It's not about being good at it. It's what your floor is for. LOL. You will see & feel change slowly.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Just keeping busy here, trying to get things done for h's surgery so I have it easy peasey...uh huh.....lets hope so.. frost frees are in, horse shelter is up, now a chicken pen and indoor doxie run from the porch. this past year used a heat lamp and fans for summer, this winter they can come all the way inside or out as they choose with a covered porch between....I think they will love it!
my floor tiles will have to wait til next year, but that's ok...we r getting there, and as always a work in progress, but as u see animals come before the house! tongue Rolling Eyes Laughing my paneling will have to wait until next year, too, when he is back on feet. I want the inside to be like a rustic look cabin, I think it will look good.....and then of course we rgonna boogie and do some trips whilst warranty is good on car and we have the camper. I posted a pic of our camper on face book, I still don't ikInow how to doit on here, sorry.

Hope all is well in foopland.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2015
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next