Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2015

Go down 
+5
Ellen E
Indyapp
cb
Rose
Ark
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Rose

October 2015 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Flooding in SC   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 6:31 pm

CB, as you know, since you used to live this way, the last week of heavy rains and wind have really put SC in harm's way. I do not live too close to a creek (1 mile), but roads in and out of this area are covered with water (creeks and rivers), I-95, I-20, I-26 all have parts that are closed. Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charleston are all disaster areas. SC is in a state of emergency. I have been concerned about the pasture and barn where Essie is going, but cannot get out there right now, think it's okay, didn't see any creek close to there. Me and the pups are safe and praying this ends by Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Flooding   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Ya'll please do some humming and positive thoughts for all of SC!
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Flooding   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 6:41 pm

The Equestrian Center, 1/4 mile from Robin's house, where she boarded Sterling at one time, is completely swamped, all horses have been moved out. Very, very, close to lake and feeder creeks run through the property. Robin, Johnny, and Noah are ensconced in their home for the duration, they are less then a block from the lake.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Keep us posted, Rose. Prayers for safety for all.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 7:12 am

Yes, we know flooding in myrtle beach! we had to entice horses to come to the fence by the road thru the water so kids could ride back to barn with bags of grain and then ride horses back to the road so we didn't have to wade thru it with the snakes. too deep to drive our pickup thru.
And when hurricane david came thru what a mess....snakes got into the humane society and I kept finding them and it was NOT pretty! my deputy brought me a holster and a gun as I was there by myself a lot! He was deputy sheriff and deputized me to carry! we shot a few, but I sure scared him the day we got into the shelter to clean and feed, I was cleaning the mud up in our med room and I picked up a big green glass ashtray and there was a moccasin in it and I threw it and it broke into a million pieces, ed came running in gun drawn thinking there was someone who had broken in, as I was running out and we hit each other so hard knocked us both down whence I proceeded to crawl right on over him......yes I did..... Rolling Eyes affraid ....we never did find that particular snake...and he searched for it.
Pfffffft...everywhere I went I went slowly and looked all over each room and kennel lookin for the dang thing! floods r terrible when there r snakes and gators in the murky waters.....shiver shiver....
So stay safe everyone who are in harms way....hummin for y'all.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Yes for sure prayers and hummms your way to anyone affected by the flood my daughter lives in north Carolina near the Georgia south Carolina border she has been complaining that it has rained 7 days
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Since I don't have internet at the house I have been trying to log on with my phone but it won't accept it but I can get on my tablet when I am at clubhouse here, I can however read posts on my phone just can't get logged in on phone, am going to take my phone in to get help setting up my phone for here so I can once again post here anytime
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Did anybody watch DWTS tonight?  Not a dry eye in the house after Bindi and Derek danced.  She was wonderful, and Derek came through with another beautiful choreography.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 11:29 pm

No we watched the voice...I don't think harry is into dancin much Mad Sleep

H gets his results on stress test the 16th....tech said he did good. hope so, he can get his knee done.

Mailed mary ellen a card out, she just had surgery for a perforated stomach or intestine, she wasn't goo for awhile, our gram.

Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Mary Ellen   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 11:51 pm

Prayers for Mary Ellen! Serious surgery and recovery. Please keep us in the loop CB!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 3:35 pm

We have SUNSHINE!!! sunny sunny The mud is drying and the temperature is perfect. Got my barn cleaned up and Kazi's stall rebedded this morning. Other than Daisy's drooling, all is well around here! I think she has reduced her gorilla glue amounts, hopefully she is getting over it.

CB
You have always had snakes after you ROFL . I hope you have kept a diary!

ROSE
The pix out of SC are incredible. What weird weather conditions. I hope you, and the state, are getting sunshine today!

ELLEN
I looked up Bindi' s dance from DWTS. She has really grown up into a pretty young lady. Very nice dance!

We are looking for a new, to us, horse trailer. Our trailer is a 1997 and has some issues we don't want to deal with. It needs considerable repairs. Donnie wants to get a 2-horse gooseneck trailer that isn't much longer than our Brenderup. We have turning around space problems with our driveway. I hope we find something soon!

The grass is in dire need of mowing after all the rain. I guess I should get to it....
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Oh heavens, ROSE,..............the storms were horrible and praying for all of SC. Sounds like you are O K where you are. AND, it is wonderful you have found a better situation for you & ESSIE......hope she can get there before too long.
How is Lewie doing?

RICK, glad you're O K. Tired, I'm sure. Hope all is well.

SUNNY, ho[e you can get your phone working to stay in touch all the time.

TRUDY, hope Anthony stays "cool" long enough to heal. We had a situation out here where a teen boy went to his girlfriend's house armed. He said he would kill if family interfered..........then he went outside I guess. Police were called and they shot him 3 times (he is going to be O K)as he would not come out from behind a bush. I don't know all the details but I think these kids just think they can rule the earth. I'm wondering if Anthony had taken drugs and is sort of in a detox situation to be so angry all the time, in addition to being separated from his peers. Kids today are on a whole different path and just don't get reality. Praying Anthony gets his feeding tube in and then on to his next surgery without any glitches. Hope you & George are O K & your teeth can be jostled in to submission to be pain free.

ARK, glad Daisy's dribbles are a bit less. You will love a gooseneck........WAY easy to drive and turn, etc.

I think our heat is gone and we are now a 2 digit climate. This afternoon is cloudy and rainy and only about 68 right now................

INDY, great going on your big financial convention and being asked to author an article relating to being frugal. I'm very frugal but my horses are frivolity.......oh well.

CB, glad you finally got a travel trailer you will like.

ELLEN, hope your weather warms up as it's too soon for low temps.

Everyone have a good evening...............
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRUDY!!! Hope you are celebrating largely!! ClappingHands sunny :dance:

Daisy's gorilla glue has definitely diminished.  She wasn't even disgusting this morning and there wasn't much to clean up.  Ever cleaned up a rubber cement spill?  That is what it has been like. No   I think she is getting over whatever this is.

Good news!  The neighbors across the road have cut their grass for the first time this year!  Bush hogged it, actually.  These are the folks who sent us two truck bombs last year. This summer we got to watch their weeds grow ever higher.  I hope they sell out and we get some nicer folks in there.  Maybe someone with horse crazy, but responsible kids.  I could use some help on occasion.  One can wish..... Very Happy

I had to put flymasks on the horses today.  After all the rainy, cool weather with no flies, they are back.  The horses threw their heads into the masks. It is very sunny, pretty, and warmer today.  Lovely.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 7:33 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRUDY! I hope you've had a really nice day, complete with chocolate cake and ice cream.

The last two days have started out cloudy and foggy, but cleared into really nice days. I don't know how much longer this can last, but the longer the better.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Yes, ellen, I'm with you there! weather has been really perfect, very pleasant, I like

Ark could daisy reach over the neighbors fence to eat any of those weeds ...I was thinking she may have been snackin and when the bush hogged, took it out of her reach?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRUDY! hope its a good day! how's that grandson doing?

Hubby has the rafters on the horse shelter....its coming along....yesssssss.....

Puppies r cuter than all get out....playing and chewing on everything and us too....

Well guess hubby would like dinner sometime tonight.....

Sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 pm

CB
That bush hogged neighbor is across the road and unreachable for Daisy. There are weeds available on our side of the road she can reach, but since our grass is still good, I would think she would eat that first. I think we will never know for sure why Daisy went into mass producing goo. I just hope it continues to go away. And never comes back.

ROSE
How are things going in SC? When does Essie arrive?

GRAYMARE
Any gooseneck suggestions? Donnie is researching like mad. I love it! Very Happy

INDYAPP
Have you taken Sophie out lately? I hope we get to read your article on being frugal. (Said as we are shopping for a horse trailer Rolling Eyes .)

Riding lesson tomorrow. I missed last week because of Daisy's vet visit. I am in the mood to ride! I think I have fixed Ivan's bridle with the s-hook hackamore. It should rest a little higher on his nose and make him a bit more comfortable. I had to remove the halter noseband to get the s-hook up where it won't interfere with his breathing. He likes this bridle arrangement so much better than the snaffle bit.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 6:54 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. It was a good birthday. We went out to dinner with my girlfriends Barb & Jill to Watson Inn (they give a free dinner to you when it's your birthday up to $20). I had crab cakes. yummmmmmm I had strawberry cheesecake for my birthday cake. My neighbor brought me up a tray of brownies with candles, but since I am fasting and chocolate is on my list I couldn't eat them. They are in the freezer awaiting Nov 1 when I will really enjoy them.

Anthony has modified his behavior and accepted the fact that the next few weeks or months is going to be spent in the hospital. He allowed the feed tube surgery and it is now in his side instead of his nose, the major throat surgery has not been scheduled yet. Sometimes reality smacks these spoiled brat kids in the head and wises them up. We shall see. I've been sick, so I haven't been going to the hospital. Don't want to spread my gems to him on top of what he already has going on.

ARK: My Paint horse couldn't be ridden with a bit, he was a terror, but with a hackmore he was a baby doll. I could ride him with a halter or even some baling twine wrapped around his nose, but not any bit. I had different types of hackmores for him, the one that worked the best was a thin one wrapped in leather.

CB: I heard from Gram yesterday. WOW she had some serious surgery going on last month, I sent her a card. Thanks for the info, I thought she had taken one of her many trips south.

ELLEN: We are having sunshine instead of rain. Yeah...

GRAYMARE: You are so right about these spoiled brat kids. Who knows what these kids get into, when he moved out of his dads house, I just knew things were going to take a nasty turn. He just has some ill conceived notion that NO ONE is going to control him. I blame both of his parents for not disciplining him when he was small, he ran their house like a king. Very sad.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 9:50 am

trudy, I sent her a card, too...it sounded pretty serious for sure, but sounds like she is slowly recovering...thank goodness.

Your birthday dinner sounded yummy, but I have to ask why are you fasting....and not eat them til nov 1? I'm sooooo nosey........I love brownies, they wouldn't make it that long! lol

Glad grandson is calming down....how old is he now? I hope his surgery goes well. are they waiting to do it to see if it heals more...I don't understand why the wait.

Ark, twas just a thought on Daisy, she has me stumped! I have always hated not knowing what causes things....

Well, hubby will work on the shelter again today.....I will feel better when they have it, but the darn horses will probably stand out in the weather anyway..... but it will be there.

Time for a cuppa.....later taters
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 10:08 am

Good Morning All,

And it is a Glorious Morning. Yesterday was fantastic too. It was so nice out that as soon as I got home Sophie and I took the neighbor lady for a little drive. It was beautiful and only had one little glitch. Sophie got goofy going over a little culvert bridge that we've gone over before with absolutely no problem. It wasn't even the bridge or ditch that was bothering her. Something in the yard we were going by was the problem. Only thing I could come up with was the shadows and her wearing the blinders. It's always been morning sunshine when I've taken her past there in the past. I had to get out and lead her past whatever it was that was bothering her. She was perfectly fine once we got past the booger, whatever it was. Guess that means I have to take her out in the evening more often.

I can't help much with suggestions on a gooseneck trailer, I've only ever had bumper-pull. Candace had a Merhow and it was nice. The company is out of business now, but if you can find a used one, they were always considered a well made trailer. They were a family owned company made in Bristol, IN for years until the father passed away. Then the son took over the company and son just didn't have the business talent dad did. I have a Sundowner and love it. I'm sure their goosenecks are great too. I always wanted to test drive the Benderup when they came out because they were advertised as being so well balanced that they could be pulled by a car but there weren't any around here at the time. And at that time drive to PA (I think that is where they were made) wasn't an option for me.

Have a GREAT day everyone.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: SC Flooding   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am

We still have a lot of flooding, some rivers and streams have not crested. My county only has the 2 Pee Dees (Great and Little Pee Dee) Rivers and Black Creek and though they all have flooded, severely, it seems we haven't sustained as much devastation as Charleston, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach/Conway/Williamsburg areas. We are all grateful. I am so very proud of how this state has conducted itself during this tragedy. Neighbors helping neighbors and strangers helping strangers. cheers
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 am

Ark and Graymare, Flat Stanley was hand carried by my neighbor to North Dakota to a priest who preaches and teaches on the Sioux reservation.  Neighbor was going to visit his college friend and I asked him to take Stanley with him.  He was more than happy to do it.  So, the third grade class should get something a little unexpected.
While Stanley was here, I took pictures of him on my deck, on the jet ski, on a pedal boat, on a pontoon boat, and watching turtles on a log.  I sent them, along with a letter, to the school.
In the process, I discovered that Walmart has a really nice self-service photo printing service.  Insert memory stick, choose pictures, print, pay 30 cents each, out the door.  I don't need to print photos very often, so that was a nice find.

Rose, I'm glad to hear that you are okay. It's going to take a long time for the main damaged cities to get back to normal.
I saw one story where a woman was in labor, so some guys took a kayak, got her loaded in it and took her to safety. 8 hours later she delivered her baby.

Trudy, maybe this accident will ultimately serve a good purpose to show Anthony that he is not infallible and will not always be in control of the world.  The hospital and doctors are doing for him what his parents should have done when he was little.
As a teacher, I saw too many kids that were allowed to be in control of their homes.  My only thought was what a terrible disservice those parents were doing to their kids.  The kids were socially crippled and weren't acceptable to anybody BUT their parents.  There were a few that I was sure would be in trouble with the law by the time they were teenagers.  Sadly, I was right.

I have a guy coming tomorrow to start the work on the rest of my deck.  It's actually more of a walkway along that end of the house.  He's going to do the heavy work of setting posts and beams, then I'll do the decking.  Of course, he would do that too, but I like doing it.  It will probably take me 30 times longer than it would him, but I'll get it done.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:31 am

Robin, in Columbia, still under a boiled water alert. Noah hasn't had school this week at all, one of the roads to his school completely collapsed. Still massive flooding over there. Many of the schools, across the state, remain closed, as well as colleges. We will recover! Essie's Coggins still wasn't back, as of yesterday........no news there and especially since they have a 2-week transport starting next Wednesday. Ya'll keep your fingers crossed that Essie can get home between Sunday and Wednesday! I am sooooo ready! Crying or Very sad ARK, too bad I wasn't close enough to check out the Brenderup and what needs to be done. I am seeking a solid 2-horse bumper pull. Lee State Park, about 20 miles away, is all set up for trail riding, horse camping, corrals, shelters, etc. There is a group who rides there all year long. I have a really good friend, Lori, whose pickup I can use anytime and it's already set up for a trailer. May take some time, but I'll get there.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:46 am

Choppers and planes flying low all over the area, surveying damage and needs, dogs are getting used to it as they no longer go crazy each time. ARK, folks, professional transporters, all over the country, swear by goosenecks, Hannah and Heath really tried to convince me that I needed a two-horse gooseneck stock type that they have for sale. That were willing to make easy terms for me, but I do not want a gooseneck! Good luck with the search/research, you'll find exactly what you want/need I'm sure. TRUDY, so sorry I didn't get to wish you a Happy Birthday, but belated hugs and wishes :dance: Hopefully Grandson has finally seen the light. CB, meant to ask before but keep forgetting, are any of your poopies long-haired? Had two long-haired Dachshunds many years ago, Charlie and Chaney were just absolute sweethearts and great companions.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:55 am

GRAYMARE, I am over the moon happy about what will be Essie's new living space, oftentimes it's really true, things workout for the best. Just the path getting there is weird. Going to go make some blueberry muffins, I have a craving! Smile
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Rose, two are long haired, the lil male has exceedinly long hair!
One is short hair. they are full of wiggles and waggles and kisses! they were wormed yesterday and now r lil heathens! course I gave them nutrical along with the wormer...I guess that turned them into washin ur face into freckleless skin! I hate missouri for worms that all dogs can pick up...even tho my older ones r on heartworm preventative with wormer, I still have to worm them!..we have treated the yards for fleas so many times....in dispair.....idaho didn't have these problems.....I can almost see why folks have kennels above ground, keeps them healthier I think. any ideas would be gladly used! we r going to till the ground and bleach the soil next....see if that helps. there was just an older couple here with A dog for years and years.....why is the ground so contaminated/infested. ugh! help! vet says most everyone has problems, a way of life....and I'm thinking surely more money for his pocket, too. he says, its Missouri, its just Missouri......btw, daddy is long haired, mom shorthaired.....

Ok, back to work......
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

TRUDY, belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Watch with George. Talk about a pilot.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=KcuDdPo0WZk

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2015
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next