Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2015

Go down 
+6
Ellen E
Rick Angell
Graymare
cb
sunny 57
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

February 2015 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 pm

That is an interesting set of coincidences?, for sure.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 1:45 pm

No mater what his name is Isaiah is a beautiful boy and well loved
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 2:18 pm

There are no bastards, every living breathing person or animal is a pure miracle. jmho

I know what u mean, tho. remember years ago we bought a paint mare out of painted robin breeding from moonlight kathy...she bought her at auction as open mare at catalog sale of registered horses. few months later I saw that foal move! foal was born solid....never knew who the sire was but he sure got daddys attitude, so easy to train and ride. momma had a real crappy mean stubborn streak.

Well, the wild lil doxie diggers are in their run....any takers on whether harry will be the victor or will it be those lil digger doxies! I sure hope it is harry! I'm not much for worrying about them and chasin over the countryside lookin for 'em!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 3:01 pm

I agree CB............there are no bastards...........kids or animals.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 3:19 pm

I knew you felt that way GM, YOU R TOO GOOD A PERSON NOT TO. I HATE THIS KEYBOARD..IT sticks on caps or I don't hit the key right...tiny li sh*ttin keyboard....whoever invented these tiny things I believe we will see more folks with arthritis only using the thumbs and not typing using all fingers, and more eye problems than ever before! ack! I miss my traveling netbook! may have to find way to get back there

Well, doxies r still in! they have half of the double garage and a 96 ft round pen with ranch panels and now wire on the gvround around the whole thing...ill keep hoping as harry keeps getting madder about them escaping!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 10:13 pm

I think it means that Atticus/Isaiah is home where he belongs! wavy He sure has a handsome face.

ELLEN
Any more snow? I am amazed at how much snow there is north of us and we have none. Grateful, too!!! ClappingHands

CB
Weren't doxies bred to dig out rodents way back when? I suspect your little doggies will be on the outside of their pen soon, unless Harry concretes the edges..... Very Happy

It was such a pretty day today. Mid-50s, bright and sunny. I had to cancel my riding lesson because of the recurrent hip pain. I now have an appointment with a chiropractor on Friday to see if he can adjust my bones into alignment. I have never in my life been to a chiropractor, so wish me luck. If he can't help, I will go the regular medical route. My friend, M, goes to him and claims he and his wife really helped her. Somehow, I have to fix this problem. I can't ride like it is.

Daisy looks good today. She has decided that since I am the bearer of ikky tasting medicine, she will no longer stand there long enough for me to give it to her. Luckily, today was the last dose of Bute.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm

ARK, chiro's can do some really good work........it worked on & off for me for sev years.  I was a lot older than you are.  Praying for the best.
Good luck.  By the by....Isaiah is home for good.  Well, for as long as I hold up.

CB, so far Harry 2, Doxies 1............I hope Harry stays in the lead now that they're wired in..........
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 11:43 pm

ARK, yep doxies r born hunters, noses to the ground, their sharp toenails can dig to china! lol and they are tenacious! but oh so lovable....and cute.

Maybe have exrays before you get manipulated would be my only suggestion, good luck.

We got freezing rain with snow on top so no going to the horse auction tonight...it will be down to 9 tonight for our low but tommorrow it will be in mid 50s and weekend will be in mid to high 60s....farm auction here we come for saturday and more fence building sunday while its nice.

GM, enjoy both of your babies, they keep us young.

Beech, have u got out yet?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 am

Yep. We got another 3 inches today. We already had so much on the ground, it was hardly noticeable, other than on my car. I made a run to the local hardware store to pick up some shelves I'd ordered. On the way, I saw a car that had slipped off the road a little bit. The 4WD truck behind him was sitting in one place with all four wheels spinning. I crept along slowly and carefully and made it home with no problems.

I went over to babysit with the girls this evening while Daddy and Mommy went out to play on the snowmobile. When I first got there, I sat down on the sofa. There was a child's chair about 2 feet from where I was sitting. The little one took her first three steps as she came to me from that little chair. Of course, we all cheered and she thought that was neat, so she did it another 50 times, then went right to sleep.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 1:09 am

Where did everyone go? hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Took a drive today by the lake, it was nice to get out of the house....

Doxies still in thank goodness....hope it stays like this...

Sweet dreams! we r off to beddy bye.

Ellen, that is so cute when the lil ones take off...she will be hard to keep up with now! Ihope they have a fenced yard to keep her away from the water. jessi never looked back and harry hopes she has a little one just like herself! lol
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:33 pm

I am spending my last few days with my daughter before she leaves for north Carolina, her last day at work is Tuesday and she leaves on Friday or Saturday, it will be real lonley, I have gotten used to the company and doing things together, Jodi never had time to spare when she was at home and will be greatly missed, she will be busy getting herself established in her new home, getting a job and all that, so probably won't hear from her in awhile, but she is finally happy and that is all that matters
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Tell Jodi good luck, you should jump up and go too, I know you arnt happy in florida. keep walking it will help keep you occupied...hope u get to go wherever u want soon.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 2:51 pm

February 2015 - Page 2 A181957
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Ark, how was your trip to the chiropractor?
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Am still alive and kicking in spite of all the lost posts======
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 1:32 am

Hi GENE!! Sorry about any lost posts. Got snow?

ELLEN
It went pretty well. He tapped every bone, I think. I am out of alignment, which does not surprise me. I felt remarkably well for awhile, but am now feeling kind of sore. I go back next Wednesday. I don't think he quite understands the desire to do horsey things that might hurt me, though. He is very nice, but I had better see some positive results or our relationship won't last long.... Wink ...

SUNNY
Good luck to your daughter!! I hope she loves her new life.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi guys. Not much going on here in PA. Clearing snow, dashing out on days when our road is actually snow& ice free & gathering supplies and getting ready for the next snowfall. It's a vicious cycle here lately. More snow & ice headed this way tomorrow and Monday.

Of course, Phil saw his shadow. Don't know how they even found his lair with all the snow drifts. LOL

Hopefully getting our taxes done on Weds and getting my hair cut, so I look bootifulllll for the big Valentines dinner our church group is having on Friday night. We don't usually celebrate Valentines Day, it's the day George was wounded in Nam & the day our Lucky dog fell thru the ice during the snow storm and almost died, not a good day for us, so this will be a new experience.

Stay safe and keep thinking SPRING...it's only 40 days away. YIPPEEEEEEEEE
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 2:36 pm

February 2015 - Page 2 A182058
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 1:01 am

February 2015 - Page 2 934771_706645169448115_3288776878382428765_n

February 2015 - Page 2 10959778_707224002723565_6293967313874925839_n
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 2:31 pm

Woohoo! At noon it is 64 degrees and sunny!! I will go out and soak in some rays...... sunny And clean the barn as an after thought.... Rolling Eyes We need to move hay and grain down the hill to the barn, at least we will enjoy the day while we do it.

We have been to Blacksburg for breakfast, and grocery shopping at the neato Kroger's there. It is the nicest store in the region. If they don't have it, you don't need it Laughing . We don't get there often to shop, so it is a bit more fun. With all the international university students in that town, it has a wider range of foods.

So how goes the rest of the Foopville world today?

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 3:01 pm

It's a little over 40 degrees here, but snow is melting nicely. We still have so much snow on the ground, it would not be good for it to all melt at the same time. It isn't a good day to do much outside. Wet and messy.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Warming up, getting ready for our next cold front, we are in the 70's today then rain and then cold nights and cool days , spending what time is left with my daughter, w I'll see my two granddaughters Saturday and then don't know when I will see them again, and they are staying here in Florida, my youngest gr. daughter is staying with her father by her own request but the family are not happy with me and am not welcome over there house, so will wait and see what the future brings,
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, hardly was the ink dry on my last post when horse got sick. Rallied, of course, when the vet came, then relapsed. Waiting now for blood-test results to come back from Cornell. One possibility, suggested by previous blood tests: Vit E deficiency, already now corrected, which may explain why, after a week of lethargy, he's seemed his old sparky self yesterday and today. Though this morning he had discharge from both eyes. Crikey, y'd think I was rich!  NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  affraid affraid

Could have something to do with the weather. Trudy, your description of the pattern of recurring snowstorms there fits ours here perfectly!   No   Been snowing off and on all day today, a fine, light, powdery snow. Temps expected to plummet below zero tonight and snow to continue to Tuesday, with another foot or so of accumulation. Maybe I'll try to get a pic in here.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions about the horse's water-splashing. Vet said his mouth and teeth looked great, so boredom it may be. Today a friend came by with her son to offer help with the big mound of ice under the water bucket. It's become so high and broad now that it's a slippery menace for both the horse and me. Son is only 14 but he's got to be a bull-like 6 feet tall. He laid into that ice with all his strength at the end of a splitting mall and made scarcely a dent. We had to give up. Settled for putting some salt-laced highway sand down and took away the heated bucket. Mama, here, will have to trot out to the barn to offer water every few hours. ROFL

ARK, if the chiropractic treatment doesn't do the trick, I recommend osteopathic manipulation! I've got five thoracic vertebral compression fractures that started with two (plus sternum break) in a serious bicycle accident 10 years ago, and all have managed to heal with no surgical intervention. (Never mind the hunchbacked part!) But the last time a vertebra cracked, the pain was so bad and I was healing so slowly that I finally started to get serious with a surgeon about plans for vertebroplasty. Before going under the needle, though, I thought I'd seek out an osteopath's opinion. "Get up on the table," she said. "But I just want to TALK," I said. "Get up on the table," she said. So I did. And she took away the pain. And I shelved the vertebroplasty plans. I saw her regularly for several months and can't say enough good about her and that procedure. So I'm back to running a chain saw and stacking wood and riding my scooters and....running the snowblower and shoveling and running the snowblower and shoveling and running the snowblower and shoveling and.... Drool

Had a funny experience with my book club the other night. Or I should say getting to my book club.  We meet each month for pot luck in each others' houses, and Wednesday at 6pm, three of us, with me driving, found what we thought was the right house -- lights on, several cars in the yard, one parking spot left in the drive just right for us --  and it was only after we'd exited the car and marched right up to the door, each of us bearing a big tray of food, that we discovered how wrong we were! Man going into the house turned around, looked at us quizzically, scratched his head, and said, "Er, I think you've got the wrong house?" Too funny!  Then, after we'd driven a few miles farther (think winding, slippery, snow-lined country road) and found what we thought was the right house, we weren't entirely convinced, because there was only one car in the yard and none of us recognized it. Inside, the only other three who'd come were so engaged in talk that they didn't hear us outside in the cold banging on the door and blowing the car horn. One of us finally went to the house across the road to get them to phone our host for us, while we other two called a member's partner, still at home, to ask if the car we were looking at meant we were at the right place. And so we got in, finally -- and had a great time. A big, cozy, fully-renovated, 350-year-old center-chimney colonial, btw, with attached el and barn.

Who said life in the sticks was dull?? 'Course it helps to be easily amused... rake
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Lol ...that was a good story! hope ur horse stays well now. is that ice where u could use a blow torch or a hot air gun to soften or melt it...or I remember when we were kids using an axe to chop ice to make home made ice cream.

We went to an auction, estate type, not livestock, and it had really warmed up so the ground was soft. it was crowded and folks were parking in a grassy field and as we pulled thru the first row of vehicles we realized there were vehicles stuck all over in there! cars buried halfway of their car doors and 2 wheel drive pickups were half up the tires. I said quick pull 4 wheel drive on and we did a turn around and spun back out but in the deep spot we started sliding to the side with the back end being light...and then front wheels hit firmer mud and pulled us straight again, bue we threw mud right up and over those vehicles on the front row and all up over our truck too, but made it out. then after the auction a guy in a pickup pulled in there and started spinning and did what we had done....there were people loading stuff in cars and trucks..and I realized what was about to happen and screamed RUN and booked. afterwards there were comments about YEAH I SAW AN OLD WOMAN RUNNING AND SCREAMING SO WE RAN TOO! but he still got us! that guy flung mud 30 feet flying out of that mudbog and sliding. we looked like we had mud measles but if we hadn't run we would have been covered...vehicles all needed a wash, but folks were laffing their butts off! specially about the old woman bookin past them all!

Then after that we came home and were missing the mule and rocky...we had to find them, shook a grain bucket and they came running. no cuts or scrapes which tells me they just jumped the 5 foot fence!

Then since we were already dirty we decided to walk the fenceline. we got a nice surprise. the creek that we thought was on the neighbors land branches and runs thru our property thru several acres. good deep water, about 2 to 3 feet in places...and a nice current. great for the animals...and us. saw lots of deer and rabbit signs..tracks..its very pretty by the creek with big rocks and trees.

Today hubby put up more fencing and I started going thru stuff...I'd rather have been outside it was a nice day 70 degrees...I hope this is spring in the ozarks..but worry about flooding others may have with snowmelt...

Doxies r still in....yes!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Beech, I know what you mean about the ice building up and being almost impossible to remove. One corner of my house overhangs the sidewalk. The snow builds up and then starts draining off and down onto the sidewalk. It isn't long before it looks like stalactites and stalagmites. I keep sprinkling salt on it, and knocking off the big icicles, but so far, I haven't figured out anyway to prevent it from happening. I the county would allow it, I would extend the roof out about 2 more feet so that corner wouldn't be right over the sidewalk. Yesterday it warmed up considerably and I was able to salt and beat the mound so that it is finally gone.
As for going to the wrong house, that made the trip a lot more fun and memorable. That 350 year old house must be a real gem to see. It's amazing that people are still living in it. Most of the ones that old are museums.
Maybe you need to build an extension between your house and the barn. That would make hauling water a lot easier.

CB, somehow you always manage to find a way to make an ordinary trip to an auction, or anywhere else, an adventure. Very Happy When summer comes, you'll really enjoy that creek. What would have caused both of them to jump a 5 foot fence?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 pm

That we may never know, but they both cleared, didn't even leave a hair anywhere! I guess the grass is greener on the othe side! neither one has ever done that before. muley will go after a stray dog, she goes after any of mine with teeth bared snipin at their butts....with her ears laid back and her nose out she looks like an eagle or hawk swooping down on her prey. she has never gotten one of my dogs but she sure makes them and me think she is and they won't go back in with her for NUTHIN ever again, doxies arnt too bright, but they learn to fear that mule...so I know it wasn't a dog chasing them to scare them or run them over it. But guess ill never know why.

Ellen would a rain gutter downspout help at all to have the water come out further from the corner? hard to see in my head but was thinking the county probably couldn't say much about a rain gutter attached to your house.... scratch

Guess I was due for some action, things have been pretty hum drum lately as we were recuping from our colds....felt vegefied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2015
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next