Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2015

Go down 
+6
Ellen E
Rick Angell
Graymare
cb
sunny 57
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

February 2015 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 pm

That we may never know, but they both cleared, didn't even leave a hair anywhere! I guess the grass is greener on the othe side! neither one has ever done that before. muley will go after a stray dog, she goes after any of mine with teeth bared snipin at their butts....with her ears laid back and her nose out she looks like an eagle or hawk swooping down on her prey. she has never gotten one of my dogs but she sure makes them and me think she is and they won't go back in with her for NUTHIN ever again, doxies arnt too bright, but they learn to fear that mule...so I know it wasn't a dog chasing them to scare them or run them over it. But guess ill never know why.

Ellen would a rain gutter downspout help at all to have the water come out further from the corner? hard to see in my head but was thinking the county probably couldn't say much about a rain gutter attached to your house.... scratch

Guess I was due for some action, things have been pretty hum drum lately as we were recuping from our colds....felt vegefied.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 11:35 pm

CB, I've thought of a gutter, but there really isn't anyplace to direct it that won't cause a problem. I suspect it would fill up the downspout and freeze it solid. No structure of the house is to be closer than 20 feet from the legal roadway. The corner of the current house is exactly 20 feet. Now, the actual road is about 25 feet from my house, but the legal roadway extends beyond the pavement. The road originated from the little one lane dirt road, and houses were built off of that road, before there was any legal right of way. If they were to ever decide to use the legal right of way, there would be several neighbors who would lose several feet of their property and one would lose his well. MANY of the houses would then be much closer than 20 feet to the road. Considering how little maintenance is done on this road, I don't think that will ever happen. Most of the roads around the lakes are like that.
One year, I decided to try putting a bucket under the drip. The bucket filled, froze, and cracked, as did a second bucket. So that didn't work.
I'll just keep salting and doing the best I can to keep it from building.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 12:22 am

Well now, that's entertainment! ROFL Lots of good stuff to read!

BEECH
That is interesting about your horse's vitamin E deficiency. Makes me wonder if Zippy, the pony, may have a similar issue. He has been poking along for some time, not his old Zippy self. He does have Cushings and takes medicine for that, and is 24 years old, but if some vitamins would help, I would get them for him.
That is funny about going to the wrong house Laughing .
I will check on the osteopathic manipulation. Thanks!

ELLEN
Killer icicles! I hope you figure out a way to stop that. So far this winter we have had less than an inch of snow, total. I am not complaining!! Today it got to almost 70 degrees and the mud is drying up in the sunny spots. I have figured out why we haven't had any snow this year. We had the house and barn roofs fitted with those snow retaining bars (whose name I have forgotten), to keep snow from sliding off in an avalanche. Like snow birds, but long bars. Anyway, they seem to work really well! No avalanches this year....knock on wood..... When we bought our snow blower a few years ago, it didn't snow enough to use it for 2 years. People should have us buy snow equipment every year. Very Happy

CB
Mud measles ROFL . Good description! Glad you found your silly equines!

SUNNY
When do you think you might move?

We worked all day. We moved hay and bedding to the barn, hauled all our rugs outside and beat them to death, cleaned the barn and lots, and worked a little on the wall in the house that the truck hit. We were busy bees. Daisy's nose is looking good. Those stitches may come out on Tuesday when we take her and Kazi to have their feet trimmed. Then Daisy can let Kazi have her stall back. I doubt Kazi has had much sleep in the week Daisy has had her stall at night. Ivan and Areion make ugly faces at her from their side of the barn. Suspect

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 12:55 am

Ellen I have a piece of what looks like accordian flex hose that fits on our down spout and it can be directed wherever u want it to go...it hooks onto the drain pipes and folks hook them into tubs for watering gardens....if needed ....I've never seen them before we came here.

Ark, I've never heard of those bar things....but sounds like good idea.

I was thinking maybe I have a vit e defiencicy....hmmmmmmmmmm

Beautiful evening and we have the front door open its so nice.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Beautiful week end here in AZ....rode, & out for dinner on Sat. night with sev friends.
The dinner was under the perfect stars and skies. Then yesterday afternoon, we took my old history teacher out for late lunch. He is 90 and it's fun reminiscing. He's incredibly sharp and tells really funny stories about our class in grade & high school.

We got to laughing about the measles debacle as I told him, if I remember right, we all just got in a line at school and got our shots. He said I am right. We also got our eyes tested and hearing tested, also. We even got our heart tested as the town Dr. listened
to each of us. I also remember WAY back, around 5 yrs old getting our small pox vaccination at school.

AND, I remember he would discipline us pointing his finger at us and saying "do you see?" If you ever got that finger you were one step from the principle's office. I told him "I never had that happen, did I?" He told me I was too busy looking out the window so I never saw it. He & TL really laughed. Just a really special afternoon
with a great teacher from the days when teaching was serious.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Dedicated to the snow-bound FOOPS ... especially BEECH!!

February 2015 - Page 3 1795762_10153760450120431_456632618_n
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 5:05 pm

"clock" on posting times is not accurate. This is a "test" and I'm using the time from my computer. It is now 3:05 PM on computer.
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Oh. RICK, the only thing wrong with that picture is that you can see too much of that cat!  Here right now the only thing visible would be the tippety-tip of his tail. Or probably not even that.  Still snowing here, temp 14. Tomorrow when the sun comes out Question Question Question I'll get some pics.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 2:19 am

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Hello?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 11:29 pm

R u hearing an echo?

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Ooogle gobble wockle gobble oooooogley o............
what a cute happy song......

I have to go listen again and learn to sing that one...............
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi CB! We all have to learn the new camp song................just play RICK's video a few times.

We can star in Branson. LOL cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 12:23 am

Hello!

Been busy. We took Kazi and Daisy to have feet trimmed yesterday. Both are doing well with their tootsies. The vet took the stitches out of Daisy's nose. Then we loaded up the mares and got home at about 4 pm. When they got off the trailer, we found blood all over Kazi's face and Daisy had torn her nostril wound open to just like it was when it originally happened. Apparently Daisy had whacked it on Kazi's face. So, we called the vet who showed up an hour later to snip off the torn piece. Daisy will have a little notch in her nose. Oh, well....

Today I went back for my 2nd chiropractic treatment. He was much more vigorous this time affraid . This will either cure me or kill me! If it works, it will be worth it. I am already sore.

Today was 60 degrees and beautifully sunny. It is the last warm day for awhile. No The horses will be back in their blankets tomorrow night and the little pair of Cochin chickens will probably be back in my bathtub. I would invest in a heater for the poultry house, but those crazy guineas would probably knock into it and burn up themselves, the peacocks, and the 3 stooges roosters. Too bad chickens smell so bad....They make for a fragrant bathroom....besides crowing at the crack of dawn.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 am

Today was a babysitting day with the little girls next door.  They are busy little people, cute, and funny.
Casey, the neighbors' Maltese is staying with me for a while as her owners go to Florida for more than a week.  She's pretty well settled in on the sofa beside me.

Having live chickens in my bathtub would not be the most appealing thing to me either. Do they lay eggs while they are in there?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 1:47 am

ELLEN
No, not in the winter. These two Cochin chickens are a black rooster and a white hen. They have feathery feet and are incredibly cute. The hen probably weighs in at a pound. The hen is getting older and is the last of a line I have had for about 25 years. I am hoping she lays eggs this spring so I can hatch some chicks from her. That is why she is in the bathtub this winter during cold spells, I am trying to keep her alive. The rooster is just there to keep her company. Cochins only lay eggs in the spring and summer. This hen is a very broody one and will sit on eggs for months. She has to be pulled off guinea eggs, peahen eggs, other hen' s eggs, Easter eggs, white rocks, large marbles, etc., etc.....
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 am

Hello All,

I figured everyone needs a good laugh and I'm willing for it to be at my expense.

So yesterday was a warmish day (for Northern Indiana in February) which turned out to be a good thing for me. I had a late appointment at the office that got over earlier than I thought it would. Yeah! As I'm setting the alarm to the building I'm thinking about what I can get done in the extra time I have since the appointment ended about 30 minutes earlier than I had planned. Things like, I can run by the hospital and pop in and visit a neighbor who is there, then I can .... I go out the door still planning my route and get in my car and discover I don't have my keys? What the heck, how'd I even get in the car if I didn't have the keys? Talk about doing things out of habit. For some reason I had forgotten to lock the car when I came back from lunch. Drat, I left my purse in the office. I'll run back in and get it. Wait a minute, I'm the last one here. I just set the alarm and came out the door that locks automatically. I can't get back in, the keys to the door are in my purse in my office. Dang, I'm going to look awful silly calling Bill to bring my extra keys. Wait, I can't call Bill, my phone is in the purse, in my office, behind the locked doors. OK I'll to the Knights of Columbus next door and use their phone. That won't do me any good, I don't remember Bill's cell phone number. It's preprogrammed into my phone, I just push his name. Think. Think, Think. I'll just call a cab and have it take me home. So the K of C lets me use their phone, I call a cab and I go sit in my car to wait, and wait, and wait. I was afraid to go back to the K of C thinking the cab might come and I not see it and it would leave. So a little over an hour later the cab shows up. By then I was pretty cold. It was in mid to upper 20s by then and dark. I was very glad I was wearing leggings under my skirt by that time. The cab takes me home and he waits while I run in and grab a $50 bill I keep for emergencies and run back outside. He doesn't have change. What??!! So wait here a minute I'll go find something smaller. I'm thinking I'm going to have to raid my change jar and pay him in quarters because I don't keep cash around, other than in my purse that was locked in the office. Scrounged up enough loose bills to pay him and give a tip without resorting to quarters. Turned out to be a rather expensive 5 mile ride from my office to my home. Learned a good lesson. I really to need to pay attention to what I am doing and not try and organize 3-4 things at a time. One or at the most 2 things at a time in the future.
If it would have been August instead of February I just would have walked home. Oh well, live and learn. And laugh! I did.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 11:41 am

Maybe a phone call to the neighbor in the hospital will do instead of a visit. Laughing ROFL What a day! Maybe today, you can get an extra key made for your car and find a place to hide it where you can get to it.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Well, ain't that the truth, INDY? Shocked

That happens because we grew up with no locks and the keys were always in the car, truck, or tractor.......now it takes 10 devices to get anywhere............
Good luck to society.

Glad you had leggings and got home fine!!!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 4:20 pm

INDYAPP
Poor thing!! (((( rake hysterical )))) I am glad you didn't freeze! Your next trick should be memorizing Bill's phone number.....or 911.... Very Happy
I hope today is a better day!

I just got the barn done and ready for tonight's lovely weather. The horses were out in the grass for a couple of hours, but are now in the arena. I just put blankets on them as the temps are dropping and the wind is howling. We are under a wind advisory and it is going to be soooo cold tonight. It was 60 yesterday. Anyway, I just got back in the house, looked out the window and couldn't see the horses in the arena. We had a blizzard all of a sudden and it was completely whited out. I decided to eat lunch before trudging back to the barn to put the horses up. Ten minutes later, the sun is shining again. Not a snowflake in sight. sunny
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Now we know it was a man riding the snow horse, cuz I think he was riding backwards to land toes pointing that way..... or is it jus me being backwards?

Indy, poor thing! I feel for you...and got a bit of a chuckle too

We had to get our truck fixed again and a new tire criminy...when will it end....
Colder here, brrr....for a few days.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Now we know it was a man riding the snow horse, cuz I think he was riding backwards to land toes pointing that way..... or is it jus me being backwards?

Indy, poor thing!  I feel for you...and got a bit of a chuckle too

We had to get our truck fixed again and a new tire criminy...when will it end....
Colder here,  brrr....for a few days.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 9:34 pm

I am spending the last few days with my daughter before she moves to north Carolina, yesterday we went swimming at my pool it was 65 outside and the wind was blowing the water was warm but it was a little chilly getting out, we had fun, then today Jodi and I got our feet done that felt great, tomorrow we are going to old town to watch the old classic cars parade the street and go to the shops she is leaving right after the cars going to be sad but she is doing the right thing and is real excited and happy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 am

SUNNY, wish your daughter the best on her new venture, from us. Hope you can make your plans to go, also.

Oh boy, here in AZ our weather has been good and everything horse is going on................LOL, meantime, Eli stands tied to the trailer.............

Hope BEECH surfaces soon...............well, I'm sure she does, too.

ARK, honestly, horses are something for the record books, aren't they?
Tell Daisy a cosmetic "dip" gives her horse character and movie star
elegance.

CB, is HARRY still winning? cheers
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 1:46 pm

GM yes he is! thank goodness! my older 2 tho, diff story....ol beans daddy of baby beans, is digging up the yard trying to capture the moles....and mz bluey aka smiley pup, she is tearing up the pasture chasin down rabbits!....but at least I can call for them and they come back. bluey did a flying run thru the horses last night, made all the horses jump up in a hop as they were semi snoozing...she is a fast dog. makes me smile to see them happy...and they will be even happier when we get fencing up and they can run the ten acres. gs therin is coming down for summer to help out...that will be great...I havnt had to feed a teenage boy inawhile tho!...probably will kill my grocery budget! lol
Dawn, wish jodi well and luck.

Warmer here today but temps r going to drop for a few days and wind chills....I feel for the folks with all the snow and I hope folks r watching out for elderly and homebound...and everyone stays safe. that is a real mess of snow and cold. am not complaining about mine!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2015   February 2015 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2015
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next